Note to Self: Read, Read this insturctions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have some Strawberry Rhubarb wine going using Dangerdaves Dragon Blood recipe. Well last night the SG was at .990 for the third day, so I rack to the secondary. I add my Potassium Metabisulfite, and Potassium Sorbate. I forgot to degas, but I then went to add Sparkolloid. I did not pay to much attenction to the level of my in the carboy; it was at the bottom of the neck, so when I added my Sparkolloid I had wine running out the top of the carboy. I am not sure how much Sparkolloid I got into the mix if any.

Should I try and add Sparkolloid again?

Give it time it should clear on it's own. That will just teach you to sample a bit more to make room <G>

If not clearing in a few weeks then you can try degassing again and add clarifier.

if you want a fast drinker and want it to clear, then remove 1/2 wine and get some super kleer....will clear very quickly

James, I find it a little disappointing when we try hard to build a culture of art, science and creativity to wine making and then you come on and tell someone to just dump half the wine and slam it with super kleer. How in the heck is this going to make it a fast drinker when it's hardly done fermenting. Again how is this going to clear the wine when it's still full of CO2? I'm surprised you didn't mention Everclear along with it.

I would do what Scott says. Wait, see if you added enough to clear it. You can always repeat the steps, shouldn't hurt anything as long as you have Kmeta on board.

I find myself making same mistake with fining agents as well as sugar...running out of room in the carboy.

I'm gonna guess that James had some of his famous port (yeah a bit jealous) before he typed that and left out the word "cup". 1/2 cup removed then add clarifier would be more along the route a person of his expertise would most likely say. Me on the other hand would say slam it with everclear and boom!! LOL ok maybe not but I like where Scott is going with the sample more! :)

It was late; I should not have working with it that late. I was tired was not paying attention to what I was doing. I was just a little miffed with myself for doing what I did. So far I am pleased with how this batch of wine going so far. I was a little surprised that it was not a little darker, but I guess rhubarb does not have much color to start with. I am also surprised that it taste fairly good dry; it is a little tart, but I would expect that from the rhubarb.

Sorry bout that, I did mean 1/2 cup, it is at .990 for 3 days, according to the post.....
he can clear it with super kleer, then degass, its db, not a malbec.

James, I find it a little disappointing when we try hard to build a culture of art, science and creativity to wine making and then you come on and tell someone to just dump half the wine and slam it with super kleer. How in the heck is this going to make it a fast drinker when it's hardly done fermenting. Again how is this going to clear the wine when it's still full of CO2? I'm surprised you didn't mention Everclear along with it.

I agree with Dan and Scott.

Give it time to clear. Strawberry can be troublesome when it comes to clearing.

Make sure the wine is degassed, this will help with clearing.

Cold Stabilizing also helps in clearing, at least in my experience it has.

The addition of pectic enzymes can help if the wine is cloudy with pectic haze.

Woodshed..Wooodshed..James got taken to the woodshed!:db

Today I racked and sweetened my Strawberry Rhubarb dragons blood. It seemed to taste ok, but the color is a little orangey in color.

thumb1_strawberryrhurbarb-wine-2398.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

One bottle on the right is what was left over after racking from the primary, and the bottle is what was left was from todays racking. The one on the right did not get any k meta, but has been in the fridge since racking. I did add k meta to my six gallon carboy.

Did this oxidize? It seems to me that this wine more pink in color when I racked from the primary.

Latest posts

Back