Note to self: Make more muscadine wine!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Many chemical compounds found in certain foods, like persimmon and berries, have been known to have antiviral properties. A recent study conducted at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, has identified ones in common items that could potentially help fight the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

The researchers identified five Crude extracts from green tea, cacao, chocolate, and two muscadine grapes...

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/...apA6s64OFA4OJOoBJhCNof5V7zwjtUcQ-4_1oCzYX9T2Y

Many chemical compounds found in certain foods, like persimmon and berries, have been known to have antiviral properties. A recent study conducted at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, has identified ones in common items that could potentially help fight the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

The researchers identified five Crude extracts from green tea, cacao, chocolate, and two muscadine grapes...

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/...apA6s64OFA4OJOoBJhCNof5V7zwjtUcQ-4_1oCzYX9T2Y
That is an interesting article. Cheers for that

I shared the article with my daughter, a CRNA and often exposed to patients with Covid. She is heading to Costco tomorrow to get a big box of green tea. That she can drink at work. 🙂

Haha..I thought similarly...but then I thought - didn't green tea originate from China. And I presume the lovely folks there drank gallons of green tea ... I’m not being anti China - it is a great country... with lovely people ( at my average level) - so let’s just wear face masks and keep our hands and other surfaces reasonably sanitized. An easy thing for us home wine makers.

Haha..I thought similarly...but then I thought - didn't green tea originate from China. And I presume the lovely folks there drank gallons of green tea ... I’m not being anti China - it is a great country... with lovely people ( at my average level) - so let’s just wear face masks and keep our hands and other surfaces reasonably sanitized. An easy thing for us home wine makers.

You know, you can't extrapolate singular events to cover the whole spectrum. It's a logical fallacy.

ALSO, THIS JUST IN: Small sample research has shown that a nasal spray containing grapefruit seed extract and xylitol is effective at killing COVID in the nasal passages. A brand called Xlear has those in it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7645297/

I'm typing while I'm sipping my green tea. I've already checked on my 3 batches of wine fermenting in my basement. Unlike many people, I'm considered an "Essential Worker" which means I mix up daily with people to ensure adequate housing is provided. So I'm grateful that people like jswordy share info that could help me avoid getting sick from COVID or just the flu for that matter. I incorporate into my day what is easy to include ... masks, hand washing, distancing, berries, wine (has to be good for some ailment I'm sure) green tea, dark chocolate, etc. Much of this I do anyway as it seems healthy and enjoyable. Others may include a different mix of things. In all, I hope everyone stays healthy.

I make Muscadine every year. If you have never had it, you are cheating yourself. Don't buy the stuff you find in stores, they sweeten it back so much and add flavors to it, it's just not good. But home made Muscadine is my favorite wine. I just bottled my 2020 wine today (I am a procrastinator). Its' been in the carboy since Sept. It is sweetened back to 1.01 for a semi-sweet. I used only Destrose initially land in sweetening back. I am also doing a 2020 Muscadine Peach, which will be bottled soon, I am waiting for the peach to finish then I bottle the two wines 50/50 in each bottle. I guess I will never have to worry about Covid.

2020 Wine.jpg

didn't green tea originate from China

Yes, but green tea is simply a method of how the tea leaves are processed. I have had green tea from Africa and India from the Camellia sinensis tea plant. The same plant is used to make black tea, simply the leaves are processed differently to make black tea.

And I but can assume from the link that "green tea" is from Camellia sinensis since it did not specify. Because "green tea" is not an actual legal technical term limited to only Camellia sinensis in many countries (even if it is culturally so linked), as there are many other types of "green tea" that originate simply from how they are processed.

For example, I make a green tea from our white mulberry trees (and if you look up white mulberry tea, it has quite a few health benefits too).

Side note: The article said ""Muscadine grapes contain these inhibitory chemicals in their skins and seeds". That does not mean, nor did the article say, that wine from same has the same qualities, or if it does if it has such in sufficient amounts as the seeds and grapes to matter. The article did not say, and no link to the original study paper. So as far as we know at this time from that article, and till more info if available, the wine may be useless, maybe better to just eat the grapes, and well masticate the seeds to gain the most benefits.

Side note 2: Any article that states "A recent study" but does not give a reference link to the study I always take with a grain of salt till I see the "recent study" publication myself. For example, the next prior article at the link actually included a link to the pre-publication article submitted to the Journal "Cell", which is good practice.

Last edited:
I make Muscadine every year. If you have never had it, you are cheating yourself. Don't buy the stuff you find in stores, they sweeten it back so much and add flavors to it, it's just not good. But home made Muscadine is my favorite wine. I just bottled my 2020 wine today (I am a procrastinator). Its' been in the carboy since Sept. It is sweetened back to 1.01 for a semi-sweet. I used only Destrose initially land in sweetening back. I am also doing a 2020 Muscadine Peach, which will be bottled soon, I am waiting for the peach to finish then I bottle the two wines 50/50 in each bottle. I guess I will never have to worry about Covid.

View attachment 69239

I'm with you. Though I do buy commercial scuppernong now that I am out of it, it is not the same.

I made about 20 gallons of muscadine and a like number of scuppernong every year for several years. Now I am working through the cellar and hoping next year is my year to make some more. My scuppernong won silver at the Tennessee Viticultural and Oenological Society's contest and a muscadine and muscadine-blueberry blend won silver at Cellarmasters in Los Angeles. A muscadine won silver at the Florida State Grape Growers Association and bronze at the Missouri Valley Wine Competition.

Like you, I've found there is only a shadow of comparison between what I make and what I can buy.

a muscadine-blueberry blend won silver at Cellarmasters in Los Angeles.

Now that sounds good. My son makes Blueberrry, I may have to get him to conspire on a new wine with me. I don't know if mine would ever come close to winning an award, but my wife will not buy any store bought wine anymore, so I take that a an acknowledgement. at least.

Latest posts

Back