Not too soon to start thinking about 2019 Fall Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made Petit Sirah in 2016... another year at least till it’s ready. Made a blend of Cab, Merlot and PV in 2017... another 2 years at least. Made an OVZ in 2018... another 3 years... well you get the idea.

So, in 2019 I’m looking for something a little different. Maybe Cab Franc... dunno. Any thoughts?

So you made a Petite Sirah and a Bordeaux blend. And you want different. A Zinfandel from 2018 should be ready to start drinking in 2020.

How about something Italian and a bit different ? Maybe a Barbera? A Sangiovese? Or go to Spain and a Tempranillo?

I don't know where you live but you gotta make what you can easily get.

I'm thinking ahead too and have Zinfandel and Syrah lined up. And I'll be opportunistic about a 3rd. Hoping for a Barbera or a Tempranillo! Mostly the Barbera. I am drinking a glass of a terrific 2012 Barbera just now:651B13F9-F5B4-40E5-A1EC-FFBD9E9C4A48.jpeg

So you made a Petite Sirah and a Bordeaux blend. And you want different. A Zinfandel from 2018 should be ready to start drinking in 2020.

How about something Italian and a bit different ? Maybe a Barbera? A Sangiovese? Or go to Spain and a Tempranillo?

I don't know where you live but you gotta make what you can easily get.

I'm thinking ahead too and have Zinfandel and Syrah lined up. And I'll be opportunistic about a 3rd. Hoping for a Barbera or a Tempranillo! Mostly the Barbera. I am drinking a glass of a terrific 2012 Barbera just now:View attachment 52932

Thought about both of those, too. I’ll need to sample more. Not sure if I’m crazy about either.

Luckily, I have access to just about anything I’d want. I live close enough to 4-5 good distributors.

Thought about both of those, too. I’ll need to sample more. Not sure if I’m crazy about either.

Luckily, I have access to just about anything I’d want. I live close enough to 4-5 good distributors.

If you like Zinfandel, you will like Barbera. Barbera is such an excellent food wine with a bit more acidity than Zinfandel. But get the best grapes you can, and go from there.

It's interesting, for all of us, you have to commit, often on short notice, to grapes/wine that you will drink for the next 5+ years.

I’ve got to cut back next year or find more people to take my wine. I really want to go big bold grapes this season. Thinking a field blend barrel of Petite Sirah and Petit Verdot, along with a barrel of Mourvedre to use to blend tame the PS/PV, if needed, as well as a stand-alone. I made a few carboys of PS and PV this year, blended some leftovers of each to make port. It was really good.

I’ve got to cut back next year or find more people to take my wine. I really want to go big bold grapes this season. Thinking a field blend barrel of Petite Sirah and Petit Verdot, along with a barrel of Mourvedre to use to blend tame the PS/PV, if needed, as well as a stand-alone. I made a few carboys of PS and PV this year, blended some leftovers of each to make port. It was really good.

Since you are local, I'd like to learn what you know about a Port. Even this year, I have enough left over Syrah, to make a nice Port. I know nothing about "back sweetening" and similar maneuvers. It would be fun to learn.

I had a similar 'itch' to scratch in 2017. I did Merlot, Cab Franc, Pinot Noir and Malbec. All excellent on their (they're, there) own so far, but I may play with blending some of the Cab Franc and Merlot.

For 2019, I need to figure out where I'm buying from first. Then I'll decide, based on what they offer.

Even though I'm not a white guy I enjoyed making last years Sauv Blanc from grapes. I know it may be questionable whether making whites from grapes is worth it but I'm on this all grape kick. If the Sauv Blanc turn out as well as I think I will probably do it again and also considering Chenin Blanc from SA. For fall I would like to do local Traminette, Petit Manseng and possibly a Viognier. For the reds and again local I have to do a Tannat and Norton, these are musts. Would also like to do a GSM blend so I'll need a Grenache and Mourvedre. After these I'll just wait patiently to see what premuim fruits are available. Probably won't make as much as last year but who knows.

Was there a quality issue with the grapes you got last Fall? I was thinking of doing some of those if @jgmann67 was planning on purchasing from there again.

So far, no. They aren't quite as good as the wines from Lanza grapes, but they are significantly less money, and pickup is less than an hour away.

Even though I'm not a white guy I enjoyed making last years Sauv Blanc from grapes. I know it may be questionable

Sure is questionable Fred. Certainly had me fooled!
(Lol Couldn’t resist)

Back to OP—- Cab Franc sounds like a hella good
Idea jgmann. One of my top choices. Although I’m not against repeating my previous batches either. Actually as I type I’m liking the thought more. Increasing those odds to make something better than the initial

Sure is questionable Fred. Certainly had me fooled!
(Lol Couldn’t resist)

Back to OP—- Cab Franc sounds like a hella good
Idea jgmann. One of my top choices. Although I’m not against repeating my previous batches either. Actually as I type I’m liking the thought more. Increasing those odds to make something better than the initial

With you on the forum I better be careful what I type. LOL! After reading your response I'm surprised you beat @sour_grapes to it.

With you on the forum I better be careful what I type. LOL! After reading your response I'm surprised you beat @sour_grapes to it.

I certainly thought about riffing on that. Then I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. :i

I made a cab-sauv in 2014 that was a crowd pleaser. That lead me to make a Tuscan blend in 2015 which also turned out well also. I will be blending a 2016 super Tuscan this year so knock on wood! Any suggestions for the Cab/Merlot/Sangio blend ratio?

Jgmann- pick a different grape every year even if it is a small batch. Play with the yeasts. Then blend different grapes till you find your style. That is the beauty of our hobby. And the brilliance is in the creativity. Good luck!

I made a cab-sauv in 2014 that was a crowd pleaser. That lead me to make a Tuscan blend in 2015 which also turned out well also. I will be blending a 2016 super Tuscan this year so knock on wood! Any suggestions for the Cab/Merlot/Sangio blend ratio?

I did a Tuscan field blend in 2017.
Sangiovese 50% Cab 25% Merlot 25%

If I had a do-over I’d make the cab 50% and sangio 25%. The sangio grapes were lighter than anticipated, and now so is the wine. But thems the breaks with field blends

Latest posts

Back