Not too soon to start thinking about 2019 Fall Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes, our wines go through a funky adolescent stage. This might be that, or it might be something else. I'd check pH and sulfite levels. If they are in check, you might just need to give it time. If not, rack it and hit it with sulfite and see what happens.

So - the recommendations for filtering wines from Steve at AIO are 1 micron for white and 5 micron for red. Going fiber on reds will strip flavor and body. Are you saying use 5 micron or something much finer in the .5 range??

Not sure if you have a typo with "going fiber" or whatnot. But if you are saying that filtering in the micron range strips molecules out of the wine, you are mistaken.

Some have made the analogy that flavor molecules compared to sterile filter is like throwing a ping pong ball through soccer netting. In other words flavour molecules much too small to get caught in any filter we could do at home. However, this analogy is flawed because it is not dramatic enough. If the "flavor molecules" are the size of a ping pong ball, the gaps in the filter would be more like the distance BETWEEN THE SOCCER GOALS (on opposite ends of the soccer pitch). I.e., sterile filtering will do nothing to "filter" molecules related to your wine's flavor or body.

Not sure if you have a typo with "going fiber" or whatnot. But if you are saying that filtering in the micron range strips molecules out of the wine, you are mistaken.

Some have made the analogy that flavor molecules compared to sterile filter is like throwing a ping pong ball through soccer netting. In other words flavour molecules much too small to get caught in any filter we could do at home. However, this analogy is flawed because it is not dramatic enough. If the "flavor molecules" are the size of a ping pong ball, the gaps in the filter would be more like the distance BETWEEN THE SOCCER GOALS (on opposite ends of the soccer pitch). I.e., sterile filtering will do nothing to "filter" molecules related to your wine's flavor or body.

Typo. Fat thumbs. “Going finer”

Of course, it may be the case that some flavor molecules get adsorbed to the filter, say, in the case of a paper filter or the like... I don't know if that is ever the case.

I hit this with some fresh KMeta and filtered the wine using a 5 micron filter just to get any remaining particulate out of the wine. I’m going to let it sit for a week or two and taste it.

I ordered the filter set up for my AIO. Worked pretty well, too. Only real hang up for me is that there were bubbles in the “out” line. I check for a vacuum leak and couldn’t find anything. So I just kept going. Got all 16 gallons done, then threw away the filter and cleaned up.

But, is bubbles in the “out” line normal or do I need to recheck everything to see where they are coming from??

I can't speak for the AIO but my minijet does the same thing, at least at the beginning. FWIW I filtered my problemed Merlot Saturday with a 1 then a .5. Smelled and tasted awful so I just dumped it. It was only 3 gallons this time but I've been dealing with it since the 7 gallon beginning. If I remember correctly it was infected from the start and I have no idea why.

I hit this with some fresh KMeta and filtered the wine using a 5 micron filter just to get any remaining particulate out of the wine. I’m going to let it sit for a week or two and taste it.

I ordered the filter set up for my AIO. Worked pretty well, too. Only real hang up for me is that there were bubbles in the “out” line. I check for a vacuum leak and couldn’t find anything. So I just kept going. Got all 16 gallons done, then threw away the filter and cleaned up.

But, is bubbles in the “out” line normal or do I need to recheck everything to see where they are coming from??

Did you mark your filter housing by tightening it up without a filter in it and close it until your marks line up?? I believe I get a few bubbles at the start with mine also, but it stops.

Mrs Mann and I tasted the Cab-Syrah last night and are not disappointed - certainly not to the point of wanting to dump 16 gallons of wine down the drain. I'll want to check the pH the next testing day. But, if I've got this under control and adjust the pH as needed, is there any down side to running this through my barrel when I'm done with my 2020 wines? I worry about the possibility of ruining the barrel with vinegar wine.

Latest posts

Back