Not too soon to start thinking about 2019 Fall Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S&S is having their party on Saturday starting at 11:00. They will have some grapes in but weren't able to tell me which ones. I'm going to go, is anyone else interested. Depending on what they have in it may be a wasted trip. I'm looking for Nebbiola and Grenache.

Did you have to call and ask about this? I keep forgetting to call when they might be open, and they suck at social media postings. Like, none, in a year.

I just happened to notice on their website the prices were listed so I called and they told me about the party. When I got home I had a post card from them. Are you going?

I might go- not sure if intended event is going to happen that afternoon. If they have what I want, then don't have to go to WashingtonWinemakers. Jessup is simpler for me, and if I need anything I can go to MDHomebrew on the way home.

I might go- not sure if intended event is going to happen that afternoon. If they have what I want, then don't have to go to WashingtonWinemakers. Jessup is simpler for me, and if I need anything I can go to MDHomebrew on the way home.

Confused with what you mean by "not sure if intended event is going to happen that afternoon", do you know something I don't?

Sorry, I am doing other things and not clear. I am supposed to have a workshop, I won't go to S&S if held. Organizers haven't canceled even though they are below headcount, and haven't refunded yet.

S&S is having their party on Saturday starting at 11:00. They will have some grapes in but weren't able to tell me which ones. I'm going to go, is anyone else interested. Depending on what they have in it may be a wasted trip. I'm looking for Nebbiola and Grenache.

I have a noon baseball game, which means fielding and BP starting at 11. Would be curious to hear what they have and how it looks/tastes though.

I called S&S. They have about half their juice bucket types in already, grapes start arriving Saturday and into next week. They don't know what's coming first truck, but the Riesling is next week. Apparently Gewurztraminer is a 'yes, next week too', even though not on price list.

So this will be a first for me. I'm not going to be available to pick up grapes and Craig has graciously agreed to run down to pick up/crush for me. I'm thinking that I'll give them attention that Sunday when I get home. But, questions for the good of the order: Should we hit them with SO2 on that Saturday so the wild yeast doesn't run amok by the time I get home (I've never sulfited my crush)? With 20 gallons of must, we're talking a tsp, right? Then wait a day to add the enzyme?

Jim, I never sulfite at crush either and always though the number if you did was 50 ppm. According to FermCalc and using 15 ppm free (this is an assumption since I have no idea how much is given off by the sulfite pads) and taking it to 50 ppm at a pH of 3.8 (another assumption) it requires 64 grams of powered K-meta. I kept adding tsps and it took 7 to get to 56 grams for the 20 gallons. I don't want to mislead you hopefully someone else will check my numbers.

Jim, I never sulfite at crush either and always though the number if you did was 50 ppm. According to FermCalc and using 15 ppm free (this is an assumption since I have no idea how much is given off by the sulfite pads) and taking it to 50 ppm at a pH of 3.8 (another assumption) it requires 64 grams of powered K-meta. I kept adding tsps and it took 7 to get to 56 grams for the 20 gallons. I don't want to mislead you hopefully someone else will check my numbers.

This is the instruction in the guide I saw that begged the question:

SO2 Addition: Use 50 ppm (1.65 g or 1⁄4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite) per 5 gallons of must to inhibit wild yeast and bacteria. Add SO2 as soon as the fruit is crushed. Make sure to mix completely throughout the entire volume. Allow approximately 4–24 hours for the SO2 to work before adding yeast or enzymes.

It references a “1/4 tsp per 5 gallon” With 20 gallons of must, that’s 4 x 1/4 tsp = 1 tsp for 20 gal. Just making sure I’m reading that right.

If this were a matter of hours, I’d just leave it. But a full day, I’m a little more cautious.

This is the instruction in the guide I saw that begged the question:

SO2 Addition: Use 50 ppm (1.65 g or 1⁄4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite) per 5 gallons of must to inhibit wild yeast and bacteria. Add SO2 as soon as the fruit is crushed. Make sure to mix completely throughout the entire volume. Allow approximately 4–24 hours for the SO2 to work before adding yeast or enzymes.

It references a “1/4 tsp per 5 gallon” With 20 gallons of must, that’s 4 x 1/4 tsp = 1 tsp for 20 gal. Just making sure I’m reading that right.

If this were a matter of hours, I’d just leave it. But a full day, I’m a little more cautious.

Oops, my glasses were dirty. I went back and looked and had 505 ppm as the target. Good thing you didn't listen to me. Correcting my mistake it is now 4.6 grams so you are correct.

So this will be a first for me. I'm not going to be available to pick up grapes and Craig has graciously agreed to run down to pick up/crush for me. I'm thinking that I'll give them attention that Sunday when I get home. But, questions for the good of the order: Should we hit them with SO2 on that Saturday so the wild yeast doesn't run amok by the time I get home (I've never sulfited my crush)? With 20 gallons of must, we're talking a tsp, right? Then wait a day to add the enzyme?

If you plan to do MLF, I wouldn't hit it with sulfite if the fruit is good. C/D into the fermenters with enzyme on Saturday, it'll be ready for you to run numbers / adjust and pitch yeast on Sunday. Any inferior yeast that may try to get a foothold will be quickly overwhelmed by your yeast.

Latest posts

Back