Mosti Mondiale not the hydro reading i want

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloydb82

Junior
Reaction score
I have the merlot kit and im in the first stage. I have been fermenting my wine for about 5 days now. the first day the hydrmeter read 1.090 and 1.070 the thrid day and today which is the fifth day its reading 1.060. The instructions within the kit say with in 3-5 days i shall have a reading of 1.030-1.040. What Should i do from here? Should i Go a head and rack the wine? Or wait another day?

The timeline is just a rough guide. You should wait until your gravity reaches 1.030 or 1.04 before you rack the wine.

No worries. Yeast don't always cooperate and work as quickly (or sometimes quicker) than we'd like. I'd be willing to bet the area you are fermenting in has a relatively low temp for fermenting a red wine (below 70 degrees). This won't hurt your wine, but it will make the yeast work a bit slower. If you want to speed up the process, you can move it to a warmer area.

No worries. Yeast don't always cooperate and work as quickly (or sometimes quicker) than we'd like. I'd be willing to bet the area you are fermenting in has a relatively low temp for fermenting a red wine (below 70 degrees). This won't hurt your wine, but it will make the yeast work a bit slower. If you want to speed up the process, you can move it to a warmer area.

Yeah your right. Right now its a temp of 68 degrees. I will for sure bring it up to around 69 for the rest of the time.

65-75* is the recommended temp usually. and on the higher end usually gives better results. mine usually ferment through primary ~ 72-74*.

is this the alljuice kit from mosti? my instructions from another mosti wine indicate first racking at 1.040-1.050 - perhaps your instructions are different.

mosti kits especially seem to encourage an earlier rack than other kits. 1.010 seems common for many of the other brand kits.

65-75* is the recommended temp usually. and on the higher end usually gives better results. mine usually ferment through primary ~ 72-74*.

is this the alljuice kit from mosti? my instructions from another mosti wine indicate first racking at 1.040-1.050 - perhaps your instructions are different.

mosti kits especially seem to encourage an earlier rack than other kits. 1.010 seems common for many of the other brand kits.

Not sure This is my first ever making wine. But my instructions say 1.030-1.040

last year I did a couple kits. My first attempt at making wine. My apartment is on the cold side this time of year. I noticed that my time line wasn't matching the directions. It went a few days longer due to the temp. I scored a couple of brew belts. Now I can get the temps to 72-74 with no problem. This year things went much quicker.

The wine came out very good. (except the three hydrometers I broke LOL). Just want to say thank you to everyone who helped.

Latest posts

Back