not sure if it is worth it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck-crisler

Reaction score
I have been checking my sugar levels regularly. Note: it is mid-September, just a bit late. On Sept. 14 my Frontenac and Marquette tested around 22-24 B, so I decided to harvest, which is a good thing because something (rabbits?) is eating my grapes. So it is a race between getting sugar high enough and getting anything. Between 6 Frontenac and 6 Marquette, I got barely 18 lbs of grapes. The rabbits have done well. I mixed the two. Now for the worse news. The TA is 1.4% and the pH is 3.16. I measured the TA 3 times and, unfortunately, got the same answer each time. So my plans for MLF will require a significant alteration to the pH, and I have to do an MLF due to the acid. I am beginning to wonder why I bother. I have been waiting for 'next year' for over 15 years now. I have too much time, effort, money and emotion invested to quit, but can't seem to ever get anything.

You should use 71B Yeast. It will eat Malic like no tomorrow and raise pH and lower TA. Once finished retest pH and TA and see where it is at. 18lbs might make 1 gallon so I am with you on whether or not all the work is worth it……..

Thank you for the recommendation of 71B. I guess that after the primary fermentation is over, along with pressing and racking, I should adjust the pH (calcium carbonate?) and do an MLF, which I had anticipated anyway. I had also anticipated a cold stabilization in January, so now need to read up on that.

I have decided to go on an pick more/maybe all of my grapes before they are all eaten and then just add sugar. I doubt the taste will be as good but it will be better than nothing.

Calcium Carbonate should be a last resort, like just ahead of dumping it down the drain. It tends to leave an aftertaste (salt) that can make a wine taste down right nasty.

DON'T QUIT!!!!

Never give up, never surrender! You have nothing to lose at this point!

Might I also suggest a nice .22 rifle for your rabbit problem? I bet a nice rabbit stew would be great with your rather acidic wine!

"Might I also suggest a nice .22 rifle for your rabbit problem? I bet a nice rabbit stew would be great with your rather acidic wine! "

<Chuckle> I definitely needed that!

Mike, Thank you for the advice on the calcium carbonate.

I am pressing (pun) ahead with the rest of the grapes. I will probably mix varieties to get enough juice. Tonight will be Cayuga and Seyval. Not much Seyval because I almost 100% thinned it to get better growth this year for next. The growth was much better but I don't know if it was the cluster thinning or the fact that my 1500 lbs of lime has finally changed the soil pH enough.

Maybe Thursday evening I will do Baco Noir, maybe mixing my remaining Foch. Next week Chancellor.

Next year (I really hate that term!) I hope to re-build my fence. I plan to use PT 2x2 10' long, painted with roofing tar on the bottom 2', set into the ground as far as I can go (digging in NH is *REALLY* hard), use chicken wire 3' wide, 2' on the posts and 1' bent on the ground on the outside, then several (4? 5?) electric wires up the posts.

Thank you for the encouragement. It does really help.

You know, foundation grade pressure-treated wood is not much more expensive than air contact or ground contact. In my neck of the woods, it is not in stores, but I can order it with about a week delivery time.

You can use Scott Labs MBR 31 malolactic bacteria on that wine with good results. It tolerates lower pH than most and will lower the TA nicely along with the 71B yeast. It would be pricey though for such a small batch.

Your grapes must be very close to the ground for rabbits to be geting them. I have possums decimating mine. They climb. Coons also climb and like grapes.

I agree with Grapeman. My grapes had a pH near 3.0 last year. I used 71b yeast and followed that up with MBR 31. Worked like a charm.

I really appreciate the support. I was really looking forward to a good season, thought that I had my problems licked and then got kicked down yet again. The positive and supportive comments have helped.

I am really curious why some grapes end up with a lot of acid. I thought that it was caused by my soil being so acidic. The pH was around 4 3 years ago. I tested some juice and actually fermented it 3 years ago and got a T.A. of something like 1.3. That was Cayuga. This year I harvested 40 lbs of Cayuga but the T.A. is 1.1. My soil pH is now 6.5-7, so that isn't it. I didn't pluck leaves but I did seriously cluster thin. Also, the season seemed cool, though the NWS reported that the average temp was right on the average, we just didn't have many really hot days. So I am wondering if those 2 factors contributed. Any thoughts anyone?

I really don't know what ate/is eating my grapes. I guessed rabbits but could be wrong. Some of the clusters are close to the ground, others are higher but not very high. I use a VSP trellis. The bottom wire is about 24" above the ground. I train all of my shoots to grow up, but some always slip out and hang down, no matter what I do. That has been a trait that I have cussed about for a few years. I still don't know how to fix it. The really frustrating thing is that I didn't put bird netting on all of the vines because some weren't big enough to let fruit, so I thinned them nearly 100%. The critters left those grapes alone! They were mainly Seyval (tasty too!).

Paul, I will look into foundation grade PT. I also have another smaller project that requires some PT lumber. Thank you.

Again, Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support.

I am not too sure just what the affect of soil PH is on grapes. I guess that it makes sense that it may make the grapes acidic also...

My guess, though, is that your grapes were not ripe enough. What was the brix at harvest?

John, I agree. My experience shows that soil pH doesn't have much, if any, effect. That was a guess/hope a couple of years ago. My first grapes processed this year were Frontenac and Marquette with a Brix of about 22 at harvest. Yes, they could have been higher. Also, these are known for high acid.

Several years ago, Dr. Pete Oldak (Jewel Towne Vineyards, South Hampton, NH) suggested to me something about a 'potassium pump', which seems to be some sort of chemical process involving potassium, sodium and acid. He suggested (or implied) that adding potassium might help lower the acidity. At that time a soil analysis listed my potassium as 'very low'. Now it is only 'low'. At that time some Cayuga had a T.A. of 1.3% (from memory). Same grapes, same spot now has a T.A. of 1.1%. I am seriously thinking of adding 100lbs of potassium fertilizer this fall to both my orchard and vineyard (1/8 acre each). Both are also low in phosphorous, so I will do the same for that. I hadn't mentioned but my orchard has the same soil analysis and my peaches aren't as sweet as they should be. I have 5 different varieties (Madison, Red Haven, early giant white, Carolina Belle and Reliance), so I don't think that it is a variety thing. I am wondering if they might be connected. Yes, I thin the fruit in the spring to improve the taste and size. Years ago I had a Reliance peach tree in a flower bed and it was quite sweet, so I know that it can be done in my area.

I would use the grapes to bump up a less expensive kit. I use Marquette cake to do that with great results.

Back