Not really sure if I have a problem or what...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy77

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie question; Since I'm new to winemaking though I'd make a couple batches from concentrate as a trial run before trying something more complicated. I started a batch of Welch's grape and a batch of apple/cherry wine back on July 3rd. Added k-meta and transferred from primary to secondary on July 7th. I've been very careful with sanitizing and protecting from O2. I have OG and FG if needed. I racked both wines today. After taste testing them today while racking, the best way I can describe it is kind of tart with a bite. It's not offensive tasting, but it's not great either. I don't know if this is normal, and don't have anyone to taste it and direct me. I know it's only been about 5 weeks, but can I expect the taste to get better and smoother as it ages? Is there anything else I can/need to do? Thanks in advance!

Sounds pretty normal. Yes, time will smooth things out and improve the taste.
How much concentrate did you use per gallon?

OK thanks for the replies. So sounds like I don't need to be worried at this point, and as it ages, it'll get better. That makes me feel better. Like I said, I don't have anyone to ask to taste it, or to get advice from. I will just let it age and continue racking every couple of months. Ron0126 - for the grape wine I used 4 1/2 cans grape concentrate for 2 gallons, and for the apple/cherry I made the next day was 6 cans for a 2 3/4 gallon batch (made a little extra to use for topping up). Sound about right?

OK thanks for the replies. So sounds like I don't need to be worried at this point, and as it ages, it'll get better. That makes me feel better. Like I said, I don't have anyone to ask to taste it, or to get advice from. I will just let it age and continue racking every couple of months. Ron0126 - for the grape wine I used 4 1/2 cans grape concentrate for 2 gallons, and for the apple/cherry I made the next day was 6 cans for a 2 3/4 gallon batch (made a little extra to use for topping up). Sound about right?

The grape *may* be a little "thin." But everyone's tastes are different. I've typically used at least 3 cans per gallon but don't worry ... your first couple of batches are for practice anyway! Take good notes, learn what works, what you like, what you don't, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone around here is very, VERY helpful and very low on the judgmental side of the spectrum.

Concentrate is indeed a gateway to a great hobby as @NorCal says but I personally find it to be a little one dimensional. Decent but not really all that complex and interesting. That said, I just drank a couple of glasses last night of mine from April 2017. It does keep getting better and better!

Don't give up and keep on experimenting. :h

If you want to venture into some inexpensive kits, check out the Tweeking Cheap Kits thread and then look for some Fontana kits on Amazon or Walmart.com. They're only $38.95 and for a five gallon batch of Welch's concentrate, I'd spend at least that buying it (not including the yeast, bentonite, K-meta, sorbate, and clearing agents that come in the kit).

Wishing you the best!

Latest posts

Back