not legally wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
I wanted to go through the process of legally registering to make wine (something we are politely asked to do in South Africa, but not fined if we don't) as t was part of new years resolutions. When I got to the person incharge of the process locally, she made an interesting remark that I had forgotten. "As most of what I was fermenting wasn't grape based, it isn't legally wine. And the registration isn't as much of an issue as they view it as homebrewing. Homebrewing for home use is legal without a registration."
I'd forgotten that you cannot legally call anything other than fermented grape products wine. Funny what people will do for a monopoly...

Looks like you're good to go.

It is different here in the USA. I believe any fruit juice that is fermented and doesn't exceed 24% ABV is considered wine. We have a federal limit of 200 gallons allowed to be made (not sure if that is for individual or per household) but some States, I hear, limit the amount to 100 gallons. Also, can't legally be sold. Additionally some consumption and transportation laws/statutes/regulations varying from State to State.

Last edited:
As far as I've been able to figure out the limit here is when the insurance company starts seeing the volume of alcohol as a fire hazard, but I doubt I'll go over 200Gal a year. That would mean giving up either the hydroponic garden or the mushrooms, neither of which is likely.

Looks like you're good to go.

It is different here in the USA. I believe any fruit juice that is fermented and doesn't exceed 24% ABV is considered wine. We have a federal limit of 200 gallons allowed to be made (not sure if that is for individual or per household) but some States, I hear, limit the amount to 100 gallons. Also, can't legally be sold. Additionally some consumption and transportation laws/statutes/regulations varying from State to State. ................anything up to 15%is wine over 15% is liqueur]

Latest posts

Back