Not Bubbling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcvwines

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, i just started my first batch of wine. Unfortunately it has been 48 hours and the airlock is still not bubbling. I am making welches concord, I sanitized everything, got the sg at 1.090, added k metabusulphite to 60 ppm, then hydrated and added the yeast 24 hours later. The room has remained at a constant 70-72. Unfortunately, the yeast had been sitting for two weeks unrefrigerated. Other than that i cannot see what went wrong.

Couple of questions come to mind.What type of yeast did you use? And exactly how did you hydrate the yeast?

Is this a frozen concentrate? they already contain k-meta and if you added more you have probably killed your yeast. What is the temp of your must, not your room as they can be quite different for the first few days. What temp was the water that you hydrated the yeast with? Sometimes it will take 3 days for fermentation to begin. Are using a hydrometer to say that fermentation has not begun or visual appearance.

yes, it is a concentrate and i did add extra k-meta I didnt know that was a problem.

You may have to stir this up again or even better, splash rack it from container to another a few times letting it splash good. After this get another packet of yeast, get the temps into the mid 70's and re pitch.

Add a little of the must to your next yeast starter. If you still have good foaming action after 2 hrs this tells you you're good to go and you can add it to the total must. Try to bring the must temp. up to 80-85F and after the fermentation has started you can back off on the temp. ...70-72F is good.

well, I will probably just start over. It is day three and there is still no signs of fermentation. But i really do not understand how adding k-meta could have killed the yeast, i never once in my reading came across not using it for concentrates.

Most concentrates already have k-meta in them to prevent them from fermenting if they thawed out so by adding more you will overcome the yeasts threshold for S02. Have you checked this batch with a hydrometer? Again, what was the temp of the water you used to re hydrate the yeast?

Well, I opened it today and observed some mixed signs. It smelled slightly of yeast and alcohol and it fizzed rapidly once i removed the lid. Should i be able to observe any yeast on the surface? i did check the sg, originally at 1.090, it reported 1.100 but this was probably from the bubbling. The only thing that i can assert is that the there is a leak and no pressure is acting on the airlock. I rehydrated the yeast on a hot plate at a constant 105 while the directions called for a 104-109.

Does it sound like a soda pop in there, if so your fermenting. Do not rely on those lids with rubber grommets as they are notorious for leaking. I redrilled all my holes out with 1" holes and ow use rubber bungs.

Can you please tell me what kind of test you used to verify your level of SO2.
That is what I need to buy next.

Oh I forgot to tell you that I did not activated the yeast when I made my welch's grape juice and it worked like a charm ....why go through all that trouble ?
just sprinkle it on top of the juice.

Cheers,
cabsav

Can you please tell me what kind of test you used to verify your level of SO2.
That is what I need to buy next.

Oh I forgot to tell you that I did not activated the yeast when I made my welch's grape juice and it worked like a charm ....why go through all that trouble ?
just sprinkle it on top of the juice.

Cheers,
cabsav
The reason for making a starter is to make sure the yeast is viable and it also gives you a head start in the fermentation process.

....Do not rely on those lids with rubber grommets as they are notorious for leaking. I redrilled all my holes out with 1" holes and now use rubber bungs.
Not to get totally off topic here but correct me if I'm wrong guys. I have been under the impression that during primary fermentation you want to let the must breathe so I usually just cover the primary with a towel.This is how I have done all my recipe type wines. With kits I have done it both ways, with just a towel covering the primary and with the lid snapped on and an airlock attached. I haven't noticed any difference. Is there a preferred way? Once I transfer to the carboy for secondary fermentation I always attach an air lock..

Either way will work as you have learned but I also cover with a towel, makes it easy to get to in stirring the must.

You can get an Accuvin S02 test kit to test for free S02. You can also spend about $450 and get what a pro uses-A Haana S02 tester.

Well, I was actually a little bit wrong about it no bubbling... It has been exactly a week from when i pitched the yeast today. I racked it and got an sg reading of 1.010. So, apparently the primary fermenter leaks, and the yeast seems to be doing more than fine.

As always, visual signs of fermentation are basically unreliable.

Steve

This is why I posted the info on the first page. You have to read what we write! We do have a knowledge of wine making you know.

Latest posts

Back