Northern hybrids, 3-day ferment !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang that was fast! I started three wines last weekend.

Petite Pearl (fresh crushed on 9/23)
Brix 22.5 (1.094)
PH 3.51

Marquette (2022 frozen crushed)
Brix 23.5 (1.099)
PH 3.45

Verona (2022 frozen crushed)
Brix 18.0 chapitized to 1.100 ish
PH 3.3

All inoculated with a Red Star Premier Rouge starter (PP on 9/25 am) the other two on 9/26 in the morning because they started out frozen. Tonight (9/27 11:00pm) I measured the following

Petite Pearl
PH 3.67

Marquette
PH 3.58

Verona
1.020ish (it’s still too thick to get an accurate reading)
PH 3.39

The room temp was 75F to start then reduced to 68F when the ferment got going. Must temps never exceeded 77F. I can’t believe it went that fast. I have no intermediate readings because I was busy and thought this would take longer! I’m going to inoculate with MLF tonight and Looks like I’ll be pressing tomorrow.

Last edited:
That is fast but I would suggest letting them all stay on the skins a little longer. I don't think those three get off flavors by too much skin contact. I'll let others chime in.

Flavor report:
The PP is very tannic

The Marquette is fruity yet, with good sweetness as it hasn’t finished.

The Verona is spicy and tannic, though not as tannic as the PP. it still tastes sweet.

So should I go straight to the carboys after pressing or back to a smaller primary to settle out some of the solids? Right now they are in Brutes… each about half full.

The convention wisdom is to let it sit 24 hours after pressing before transferring to a carboy, I pressed my Foch, Chancellor, DeChaunac blend on Saturday (later than I wanted because I wanted the Foch off the skins) and let the wine/juice sit 24 hours. I had a good bit of sediment that was left behind.

I don't have specific experience with these varieties, but speaking generally about grape fermentation and processing new wine:

With good conditions and favorable nutrition, fermentation can go pretty fast. I've had several done in 4 days. Especially when things get really going, the process is exothermic and releases a fair amount of heat into the wine. Which makes it go even faster. Your temps sound ideal.

But yours are not done yet and I'd let things ride. My usual press is at 7 days as well, assuming it's done or within 1 or 2 brix. After pressing, letting things settle for 2-3 days is a good idea, and then rack clean wine off the gross lees. That will remove most of the solids, a lot of the yeast and really cleans up the wine. I like to do this intermediate step in carboys just so I can see how thick the sludge is. After 2-3 days I rack into long term storage (Stainless kegs), and will usually only rack once more before bottling at 1 year old.

It sounds like you are having a good time!

These pics are in reverse order but you get the idea.

DE26E180-526C-46EE-B06E-BE19CF8ECD27.jpeg
5618678E-509D-4816-B4F4-15887F5A687B.jpeg

Thanks for the advice. These are my first real grape wines and I am used to doing everything by the hydrometer, not a schedule.

@Vern makes a wonderful field blend with these but I’m fermenting them separately so I can play with blends at the bench.
Mitchell Vineyard near Madison suggests this for skin time with Northern varieties like you're doing:
"Ferment on skins 2-5 days. Longer is not recommended.."

First time pressing grapes today. I ended up with 5.5 gallons of Petite Pearl, 4 gallons of Verona, and 3 gallons of Marquette. All had a SG between 1.000 and 1.002.

The Pearl has a lot of tannin but good body. The Verona is a little too acidic. The Marquette probably tasted best at this stage.
image.jpg
I probably should have worn gloves🙂. And I now officially have “wine clothes”.

Last edited:
I got my ML test kit in the mail last week and ran my first test last night. First timer with this process so i would appreciate some feedback. I added the ML culture three days after adding the yeast on 9/27/22. This is what I got
image.jpg
I did not add ML culture to the wild grape, which has been bulk aging since for a year now.

Are the Petite Pearl, Marquette and Verona done? It’s been more than 8 weeks and I wonder if I should rack and get some K-meta on these.

The Pearl is still a little acidic but it has good body and fruity taste. The Marquette is kind of thin. The Verona is a little too acidic as well and maybe a little green tasting? It was picked with a Brix of 18 and I added sugar to bring it to 23. I blended all three after sampling and the result was very good. I’m guessing I would like a blend starting with at least 50% Petite Pearl. Luckily I have 5 gallons of PP and three each of Marquette and Verona

The biggest surprise was the wild grape. My wife and I both thought it was the best of the four. 6 months ago I was still wondering if it could be saved. It was still harsh and very foxy tasting. I cold stabilized last winter Then added a medium toast oak spiral. 14 months after I pitched the yeast it’s a pleasant fruity tasting wine. Slightly sweet with a good finish.

The Pearl is still a little acidic but it has good body and fruity taste. The Marquette is kind of thin. The Verona is a little too acidic as well and maybe a little green tasting? It was picked with a Brix of 18 and I added sugar to bring it to 23. I blended all three after sampling and the result was very good. I’m guessing I would like a blend starting with at least 50% Petite Pearl. Luckily I have 5 gallons of PP and three each of Marquette and Verona

The biggest surprise was the wild grape. My wife and I both thought it was the best of the four. 6 months ago I was still wondering if it could be saved. It was still harsh and very foxy tasting. I cold stabilized last winter Then added a medium toast oak spiral. 14 months after I pitched the yeast it’s a pleasant fruity tasting wine. Slightly sweet with a good finish.
Thanks for this. Good info for those of us making northern wines.

I racked and added K-meta
To all three wines yesterday. I didn’t do another chromatography… just assumed another month would do the trick. I was starting to worry about it sitting so long unprotected but all three tasted fine. I need to pick up some oak ASAP and get it in the carboys.

Latest posts

Back