Normal Skeeter Pee Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Temperance League President Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm making a 10 gallon batch of the original SP recipe. The yeast is 1 sachet of Lalvin EC1118 and I used Jack Keller's starter procedures. The starting SG is 1.078 and the temperature is ~73° F. I pitched the yeast at 9:45 PM EDT. This morning I took a peak and I was surprised to see the attached images. I don't recall early fermentation looking like this before. Does this look abnormal or unusual to anyone?20190514_081509.jpeg20190514_070939.jpeg

Thanks everyone. It's good to have peace of mind.

I know that I'm not a wine sage at any measurement, but correct me if I'm wrong, but should you have used two packets of yeast in the beginning? 5 gal. - 10 gal., I always assumed that 1 was for 5 gallons, and less might invite stuck ferments.

I know that I'm not a wine sage at any measurement, but correct me if I'm wrong, but should you have used two packets of yeast in the beginning? 5 gal. - 10 gal., I always assumed that 1 was for 5 gallons, and less might invite stuck ferments.
Not necessarily. I've read about people on here who only use 1 packet of yeast for 10 gallon batches. As for me, I always make a yeast starter. 99 times out of 100 I get vigorous fermentation within 3-4 hours. See the attached image which explains that after 24 hours 1 packet of yeast grows exponentially when you make a starter. So in my opinion, there is no need to use more than 1 packet of yeast for a 10 gallon batch. 20190520_073020.jpeg

OK, good to know, it doubles every two hours. This is just the starter, right?

OK, good to know, it doubles every two hours. This is just the starter, right?
That's right. Just the starter. FYI for skeeter pee, after the third juice addition start adding the lemon juice-sugar-water mixture instead of white grape juice or apple juice so the yeast acclimate to the high acid level. It's all explain on Jack Keller's website.

Latest posts

Back