Normal sediment after first racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atribune

Reaction score
Hi,
New here :)
I'm also new to wine making and am making my first batch from a kit. (Niagara Mist - Strawberry White Zinfandel)

After the first week in the primary I have racked the wine over to a glass carboy. There is about an inch of sediment in the bottom now is that normal or should I rack the wine again?

It's been in this carboy since Friday.

Thanks for any help

Dave

This is normal, just let it sit. is this a kit or scratch(country wine)? If its a kit then just follow the instructions until the point at bottling and then do as many will recommend to and age longer in then carboy and sulfite it again after like 3-4 months. If this is not a kit then let it sit like another monthand then rack off those lees into another clean vessel.

Thanks for the quick reply Wade.

Yes this is a kit. Normal sounds good to me :) Just wanted to make sure the yeast wasn't going to decay and make it go bad or give it a bad taste.

Fermentation seems to be complete on this and there is about an inch and a half or so of sediment. Should I rack off to a clean carboy before degassing?

Fermentation seems to be complete on this and there is about an inch and a half or so of sediment. Should I rack off to a clean carboy before degassing?

Generally speaking folks should follow the instructions that come with a kit until they are experienced at making kits. In this case, I believe that the instructions for Niagara Mist kits say to rack off sediment prior to adding the additives and degassing.

Steve

the timetable that determines racking should be based upon specific gravity and not the calendar or appearance.

Latest posts

Back