Normacorc lesson learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all that use the bottle filling wand with the spring loaded filler. Might I suggest you think about a Ferrari Automatic Bottle filler. You do stay a siphon with it, but it is designed to shut off automatically when the bootie is filled, punt, no punt makes no difference. My wife and I have used these for years. If you like to I'm ibe while filling, it solves many problems.

Okay, I just ordered one! Let's see how it works for me. Thanks Craig.

Okay, I just ordered one! Let's see how it works for me. Thanks Craig.

I call this device the Ferrari automatic wine spiller. I hope you have better success. I've had 2 and both the same. I did like the vacuum bottler that comes with the Allinone Wine Pump. But if you want bottling peace, I can suggest an Enolmatic, which seems expensive until you use it.

I call this device the Ferrari automatic wine spiller. I hope you have better success. I've had 2 and both the same. I did like the vacuum bottler that comes with the Allinone Wine Pump. But if you want bottling peace, I can suggest an Enolmatic, which seems expensive until you use it.
Would the Enolmatic work both with Speidel spigots & corny kegs (for sparkling vinos)?

I use the enolmatic, which has an auto shutoff and is pretty consistent. However, I have noticed that if you set a tall carboy on the same table as the enolmatic, then gravity can take over and deliver a little extra wine when you release the bottle from the machine, causing the ullage to be overfilled. This can be avoided by having the carboy on the ground and allowing the vacuum to draw liquid up. That way the spring valve provides clean cutoff with no liquid to backfill when you go to remove the bottle. Ive learned my lesson having some corks raise from expansion in warmer weather, due to overfilling. Luckily no spills.

Well, I got a little curious because of this thread....

My usual protocol for my filler is to stop when it overflows. Did it 5 times today and the wine level is always 66 mm from the top of the bottle. I measured other bottles on my rack and they range from 65 mm to 71 mm. Then I learned that the thermal expansion of wine is .166 ml per degree F and that the fill height should be adjusted by .55 mm for every degree above or below 68 F. My basement is now close to 60 F and my bottling was in the 70's, some upper 70's. Maybe that explains why some of my corks are hard to remove.

I'm thinking adjusting the height plus or minus by .55 mm is too much of a PITA. I'll just be more aware of the ambient temp.

I'm thinking adjusting the height plus or minus by .55 mm is too much of a PITA. I'll just be more aware of the ambient temp.
Up until recently, I've been using the same filler tube since January 1984. I fill to the brim, pull the tube out, and cork. I've never had an ullage problem. My new filler tube produces the same ullage, so I'm expecting similar results.

OTOH, I recently screwed a corkscrew into a cork, and about 3/4 of the way in, the cork started to spin. I use a waiter's corkscrew, so I levered the cork out -- it took a bit 'cuz the screw wasn't in deep enough, but I am far smarter and stronger than any cork, so I won!

I've also noticed that my aerator goes to the top in some bottles, while in others I can only get it halfway in. It's got a rubber-like seal, so it works either way.

The problem is probably not the cork or the ullage, it's the inside diameter of the bottle's neck. Keep in mind that not all bottles are created alike -- there's no gold standard for inside bottle neck diameter, it's a range of sizes.

Not to beat a dead horse to a bloody pulp but I had used a Buon Vino auto bottle filler for many years until the old back refused to lift carboys anymore and I went with the AOI one hand filler last year 👍
Seems like some folks here are having trouble getting consistent fill levels. Never had any problems of this nature with the Buon Vino once it was set. If you don't want to go with the AOI, I highly recommend the Buon Vino. Here's a write up of the only design problem I encountered.
Buon Vino Automatic Bottle filler Troubleshooting

I have used the Ferrari bottle filler, and it works ok when your bottles are all the same. If you change bottles you have to readjust.

Latest posts

Back