Normacorc lesson learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
1st time using normacorcs for a fresh batch of Carménère.

Batch of #9 generics from LD Carlson.

My usual protocol for real cork corks has been to soak in some Star San, grab one, toss in Portuguese floor corker & slam it in.

Learned Quickly that wet/soaked Normacorc's won't go completely in & will gradually creep up outta the bottle!

Completely Dry Normacorc's worked flawlessly with my corker ✌

Protocol has been updated!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1211221228.jpg
    1211221228.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1211221206a.jpg
    1211221206a.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1211221129.jpg
    1211221129.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

My usual protocol for real cork corks has been to soak in some Star San, grab one, toss in Portuguese floor corker & slam it in.

Learned Quickly that wet/soaked Normacorc's won't go completely in & will gradually creep up outta the bottle!

Cheers!
agree my son in law had the same problem

Here's my Portuguese floor corker...

Attachments

• 1211221252.jpg
    1211221252.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Folks report various problems during corking. I'm wondering if some of the problems are caused by using wet corks.

If you keep the bag sealed between uses, there is no need to sanitize the corks. Commercial wineries slash the bag of corks open and pour it into the bottling line's hopper. There is no sanitizing the corks.

At bottling time I wipe the counter with a clean paper towel soaked with K-meta solution. My wine area counter is wiped clean after each work session, so it's already "clean", but I sanitize the counter before lining the corks up. [Our process is to line up 12 bottles, line up 12 corks, I fill, and my son corks, depositing the bottles in the case. Repeat until the wine is bottled.]

There are many instances here of members having an issue with something and others not. I find it interesting and educational and if nothing else it's something to be aware of.

For my part, I don't use LD Carlson nomacorcs but I do have them in a bowl of Star San, quick shake, then into the floor corker. I haven't had any problems so far. And I wonder if I just jinxed myself?

Cheers!
Thanks!! This bottling will be my first with normacorcs and I have always soaked the corks prior to use. Your posting saved me some unwanted experience. Another good example of the wealth of information to be gleaned on WMT by all.
BTW, my grandfather used to tell me that "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted in the first place!";)

I have used Nomacorcs exclusively for red wine for three seasons. I too have had some corks not seat well but it's because of ullage, or not providing enough space between the wine level and the bottom of the fitted cork. Because these closures are so air tight, attention to proper ullage is a must.

Also of note, my Italian made floor corker (the blue one with the brass iris) scored the Nomacorc corks and some bottles leaked when laying down. It is my understanding the red floor corker (made in Portugal with a plastic iris) doesn't score the corks but this is not proven by me. The corker I use now is pneumatic and has a reduction cone. My cork size is: 47mm x 23.5mm. **Your results may vary**

Here's the manufacture's website: Vinventions - Complete Wine Closure Solutions

Last edited:
I have used Nomacorcs exclusively for red wine for three seasons. I too have had some corks not seat well but it's because of ullage, or not providing enough space between the wine level and the bottom of the fitted cork. Because these closures are so air tight, attention to proper ullage is a must.

Also of note, my Italian made floor corker (the blue one with the brass iris) scored the Nomacorc corks and some bottles leaked when laying down. It is my understanding the red one (made in Portugal with a plastic iris) doesn't score the corks but this is not proven by me. The corker I use now is pneumatic and has a reduction cone. My cork size is: 47mm x 23.5mm. **Your results may vary**

I was going to say the same thing about the fill level of the bottles. In the picture of the bottles with the raised corks, it looks like there may be just an 8th inch of headspace when that cork is pushed all the way in. I've had the same thing happen with overfilled bottles, so I usually leave an inch or so below the cork and don't have issues when I use wet nomacorcs. Although I put them in a colander after rinsing them. I dislike the squirt of water you get when inserting a wet cork.

Cheers!
Judging from your pictures, I would guess that it might not be the cork but rather that your bottles are too full. We prefer to have 1"-2" of airspace in the bottle below the cork to prevent the cork from pushing out due to pressure in the bottle when corking. On a Claret/Bordeaux style bottle like you have pictured, you just want to get the wine level into the neck and you should have your 1"-2" airspace.

I used my ancient filter tube (white plastic with orange mechanism) for decades, and if I fill the bottle to the brim (or 1/4" lower), when I withdraw the tube, the ullage is just right (to the neck of Bordeaux bottles). I recently purchased a pro filler, and it does the same. What are people using that produces a small ullage?

I used my ancient filter tube (white plastic with orange mechanism) for decades, and if I fill the bottle to the brim (or 1/4" lower), when I withdraw the tube, the ullage is just right (to the neck of Bordeaux bottles). I recently purchased a pro filler, and it does the same. What are people using that produces a small ullage?
I used to tip the bottle filler in the neck to depress the valve and release more wine to fill the bottle more. That's when I would see this problem.

I gave up on using my bottle filling wand, and just fill from the spigot of a bottling bucket. The filling wand was tiresome, but the downside of the spigot is that I must pay attention to ullage.

My old filler tube is slow and the pin is short, so heavily punted bottles are a PITA to fill. The new one is MUCH faster and the pin is a lot longer, and if I drop the tube in a bottle, it immediately starts filling.

The down side is that it fills much faster and it starts filling immediately. I have to pay strict attention to filling, and only filling. Distractions cause overflows. That said, we're much happier with the new tube.

I gave up on using my bottle filling wand, and just fill from the spigot of a bottling bucket. The filling wand was tiresome, but the downside of the spigot is that I must pay attention to ullage.
I too just use the spigot on my Speidels. ...and indeed ya gotta pay attention....But I prefer it to the filling wands I've used.

Cheers!

Also of note, my Italian made floor corker (the blue one with the brass iris) scored the Nomacorc corks and some bottles leaked when laying down. It is my understanding the red one (made in Portugal with a plastic iris) doesn't score the corks but this is not proven by me. The corker I use now is pneumatic and has a reduction cone. My cork size is: 47mm x 23.5mm. **Your results may vary**

I agree, before I got the AIO bottle filler I had a few bottles filled WAY too high. About 1/4 inch of ullage. It doesn't matter how many times you try, or even if you adjust the seating depth, that cork won't sink a bit further. I dented a few tops and they were sitting 1/4 proud before I figured out it was me.

I think water plays a small role as well, I've had some that made noise seating and others that just stayed proud after sanitizing.

Filling with the AIO (consistent ullage) and dry corks, it's like clock work. Set your depth and one after another, all seated the same.
PXL_20221119_182746588.jpg

Last edited:
Another filler tube user here. Dirt cheap. Best couple of dollars I've ever spent.

It's not fast but it seems to take the hand-made aspect of the hobby to a logical conclusion. Plus, I've honed my patience over the last year.:h

To all that use the bottle filling wand with the spring loaded filler. Might I suggest you think about a Ferrari Automatic Bottle filler. You do stay a siphon with it, but it is designed to shut off automatically when the bootie is filled, punt, no punt makes no difference. My wife and I have used these for years. If you like to I'm ibe while filling, it solves many problems.

Latest posts

Back