Noob Question re Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel Milner

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I’m brand new to this great forum and to brand new to wine making. I have my first ever 30 Bottle kit in primary FV and it’s bubbling away nicely. I was intending to rack to my 23 litre PET carboy and bottle once stabilised and cleared. However the majority of you guys strongly recommend bulk aging even for cheaper kits. I need to build up some drinking stock ASAP so I can consider better kits and some fruit or real grape attempts. Money is a bit tight at the moment so was limited with my starting equipment choices hence the PET Carboy and not glass. My question is this. Should I age for a few months in the PET CARBOY (this will stall starting my next batch) or bottle sooner and get another on the go? I will get more storage/making equipment but probably not this side of Christmas. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer a struggling Brit.

Agreed, Bottle age if clear and stable. Bulk aging is good if you have the room and carboys to spare. I bulk age most of my reds but will often bottle earlier then planned if I am low on carboys / space, for me that is at around 8 or 9 batches.:ib

One more vote for bottle then age - in this situation. You may suffer some sediment build up or crystals dropping out but just go with it.

I need to free up a carboy also and I have a plum wine that went crystal clear in less than 2 months. Thinking of checking it to see if I will go that same route. It seems pretty stable but I'll decide at the next racking point in few weeks. If it's good to go I may bottle and age, not my preference.

One more vote for bottle then age - in this situation. You may suffer some sediment build up or crystals dropping out but just go with it.

I need to free up a carboy also and I have a plum wine that went crystal clear in less than 2 months. Thinking of checking it to see if I will go that same route. It seems pretty stable but I'll decide at the next racking point in few weeks. If it's good to go I may bottle and age, not my preference.
If you want a wine to clear fast then Kieselsol and Chitosan will do it, you can usually see some reaction within 8 hours. And by 2-5 days it's as clear as you are gonna get.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Bottle aging it is until I get a couple more car boys. By the way sorry for posting in here I probably should’ve posted in the beginners section. I’ve learnt so much from you guys already. Thanks again.

To build an inventory you need to make wine fast without rushing, tough balance. I made 6 of the Fontana kits in the spring because I couldn't find time to go pick up juice buckets. I was really happy with the way they turned out. They drink well and I started them May 1st. I did tweak them with frozen fruit, dried fruit, or preserves.

I don't use the clearing agents any longer, my wife is sensitive to shellfish. I was still able to bottle some after 3 months from start date. If you use the clearing agents you should hit close to the 4 wk mark to bottle.

Try the 4 gallon water bottles as carboys. I get them free at the Primo machine at our Walmart. I don't know what might be available to you over there. https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/pet-carboys-better-bottle-and-knockoffs.50087/

Latest posts

Back