Noob question on adding additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
How do you physically add the various additives to bottles when you are racking or bottling the wine? Sugar I would guess disolved in heated distilled water. But how would you add items like sulfite or sorbate into my little gallon
secondary fermentor? Is it just dumped in and left to disolve on it's own?
Thanks
Larry

You should mix the Potassium Metabisulphite, sorbate etc. first with water, tablespoon or so, then add to another carboy. Rack your wine into the carboy as this will mix the ingredients.

Be careful not to add too much P.M.

You can also take a bit of wine out the carboy, mix the ingredients in and then proceed as above mentioned.

Luc

Yes, crush the tablet between two spoons and then dissolve in some water or wine.

Luc

I am puzzled now - I looked at my little 3 liter bottle with the airlock in place this morning. I could swear that I initially filled the airlock 1/2 full but now the water level in it is almost at the top. The water is still clear, the wine level is still a couple inches from the top of the bottle. Strange.
Larry

Barometric pressure… Did the weather recently change in your area?

Latest posts

Back