Noob bit off more than he could chew.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sense in worrying about it. You already pulled the trigger. It comes down to taste and what you like. Dont worry about it. If it's to sweet for you someone will drink it lol

Tess, I am happy to see one of the older DB wine makers come back to the thread. In the last couple of years there has been predominantly new posters on here. I try to keep coming back to Wine Talk to learn and contribute because this site has given me so much help and information to help me with this wonderful hobby.

Will

Hi Harry and Everyone,
I am very new here and was excited to read your posts and look your pictures. Cant wait to get my feet wet. Boy do I have alot to learn! Anyway please keep us posted! :0)

Hi Harry and Everyone,
I am very new here and was excited to read your posts and look your pictures. Cant wait to get my feet wet. Boy do I have alot to learn! Anyway please keep us posted! :0)

Well if your interested in learning about Danger Dave's Dragon Blood Wine then may I make a suggestion. Start from page 1 and read the thread all the way through. It will teach you everything you need to know about DB and all the different flavors and how to tackle the problems that may arise in making this great wine. And remember there is no stupid question on this site, someone will sure post a reply to any question you may have.

Will

Updates.
I will add pictures later.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning I cleaned bottles. I filtered, bottled and bagged 18 gallons last night.

First bottles. Needed about 80 for this task
I got some clean bottles on Craigslist but had labels
I got som dirty bottles with no labels
I hate doing labels. I looked on here and YouTube videos. I don't do that he oven I do the hot water in bottle and in the sink and do that many at a time. I use a small plastic razor blade holder and peel cut slow. I broke my holder went to Walmart and got a different one. It was kicking my but so I put a wire brush on my drill and did work. Worked well and leaves just a little thin line of glue that comes off easy with the goo gone wipes. Used hot water and a brush to clean the dirty bottles then wiped and cleaned the bottles. Finally bottles are done! I do have at least 70 more bottles I have to clean labels from for future batches. Not looking forward to it. After those are done I will be good. If I need more bottles in the future I will buy a case every now and then.

Filter
Did not have another carboy so I filtered my first carboy Gravity styles. Worked good. I did the apricot first. Cleaned that carboy and filtered the dragons blood next with the All in one pump. Cleaned that carboy and filtered the Pinot Noir. I used the same 5 micron filter for all three.

Bags. I have the master vintner invinity wine on tap.
I filled 2 bags of apricot and 2 bags of dragons blood. It says 3Lt bags but I think it hold closer to 4Lt. This will be my box wine in the fridge or take to a party or camping. I have never used it hope it turns out like I want it too.

Bottling
Used the all in one wine pump. It has made bottling super fast and I don't have to sit in the floor to do it. It went fast..

Corking
In the past I used a hand push corker. Worked well on doin 30 bottles at a time. The last time I used it it slipped I and I spilled some wine. I got a floor corker shortly after and tri d it out super simple and easy. I am glad I got this gem.

I still have 4, 1 gallons going. But it can age for a bit. I am partially disabled and way overdid it yesterday. I cannot stand for a long period at a time and I did yesterday. I took breaks and layed down but today my back, feet and shoulder are jacked up. When I clean my bottles this week and make some labels I will add pictures. But today I am layed up in the bed. It was worth it and I am proud of what I made.

Cheers

Here are a few Picts of me doin labels and cleaning bottles and the finished product. And don’t forget my bag of wine in a stainless steel box. Lol. None of my buddy’s make wine yet. I think next time I make some I will have them over to take pictures while I work.
The picture of 3 color wines is left to right dragons blood, apricot and Pinot Noir. I only bottled 1 Pinot in a clear bottle just for comparison.

81074FC3-F168-4DBB-A1BB-818CE0EF4EFE.jpeg 3A5221D6-7681-4253-95D0-6F889DDD0A02.jpeg CFBD0D0D-853A-4C17-92DB-1DD401AFE7CE.jpeg 09AADB19-DAAE-42EF-A42B-62C74CC15E8F.jpeg 1A714B74-3810-4FFF-94C2-DD9E43CB7763.jpeg AB171D00-E28F-44CB-B740-FAF343D5049E.jpeg EBA43499-1020-465C-8E54-07A7EB264F7C.jpeg 53F9B770-9617-4E73-9F39-4EB77C6E6162.jpeg

Looks good.
I say this only as constructive comment: don't be surprised if the apricot drops some sediment in the bottle as it's not quite clear yet.

My first batch of apricot was in the carboy for 6 after a few rankings it still had a little sediment.
I did filter this batch thru 5 microns hoping that would fix it it. If not for my next batch what do I do? Wait. I hate wait but I need to learn patience.

Looks good.
I say this only as constructive comment: don't be surprised if the apricot drops some sediment in the bottle as it's not quite clear yet.

You were correct. I put sh ink wraps on the top and there it wa in the bottle of the bottle. Great eye! How do I fix that in the future. It looked clear to me then I added sugar. It did not look as clear after adding sugar but stil clear.

On a side note a my swing tops I used I did cork them today so it can age a month or so. I read that on here somewhere. Thanks

Back