Nomacorcs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
So I have been using natural corks for years with no trouble but decided to try Nomacorcs. Bottled today and noticed that they seemed a bit shorter and also went in with less resistance.

Then I noticed that a few of the corks started popping back out a bit as soon as I pulled them out. Tried recorking and same thing!?

I get these off Amazon and they were sold under the Nomacorc brand so am assuming they are authentic but who knows.

Anyone have similar problems with nomacorcs? would you trust the ones that stayed in or would you recork the whole batch (~6gal)?

I’ve just started using them. Seem fine, and supposed to be ok for longer term aging(depending upon the type-they have several). Floor corkers will cause them to crease and leak, so I had to move to a hand corker.

I have seen this occur a few times, and is usually exaggerated when the bottle neck is wet and the cork is inserted too slow. Air is being compressed and trapped under the cork in the bottle headspace. Those corks recover their shape quickly after being compressed, so they tend seal and hold the air, vs natural corks which typically leak the air out during insertion. When operating the corker, try allowing the cork to remain compressed for a second or two before quickly driving home. I think @CDrew uses Nomacorks so he may be able to comment.

Normacorcs are great. They are available in multiple lengths and multiple sizes. If they are coming back out, That's not the corks. What size was used? Really a good product. I've bottled with them for 3 years and not one problem. Which Normacorc version did you @jsbeckton use?

I’ve seen reference to the creasing issue but I’ve not experienced it. And I use the blue Ferrari floor corker which is supposed to be the one most likely to cause a problem. I hope I didn’t jinx myself!

Normacorcs are great. They are available in multiple lengths and multiple sizes. If they are coming back out, That's not the corks. What size was used? Really a good product. I've bottled with them for 3 years and not one problem. Which Normacorc version did you @jsbeckton use?

I’ve seen reference to the creasing issue but I’ve not experienced it. And I use the blue Ferrari floor corker which is supposed to be the one most likely to cause a problem. I hope I didn’t jinx myself!
I used these ones from Amazon:

Nomacorc Synthetic Wine Corks #9 x 1 1/2". Bag of 100 Amazon.com

The picture on Amazon is off but they look exactly like these ones from Labelpeelers:

https://labelpeelers.com/nomacorc-9-x-1-1-2-corks-100-ct/

I started using Nomacorc last winter and have not had any issues at all. I use a Portuguese floor corker and no special method of inserting them - just push them in as with regular corks. I still store the bottles on their sides because of my setup and so far no leaks. I'm using the ones from Labelpeelers.

Last edited:
I also have not had many issues, though the one time I did experience what is described above, it was when a friend was operating the corker. It was easy to blame the operator, but with used bottles, the issue may have been related to odd size bottle necks. Nomacorc does mention a few general corking guidelines below that may apply, most of these are already well known. This is only a partial list of what they provide.

Bottles Used with Nomacorcs
  • Use only quality bottles conforming to the CETIE or GPI standards on cork mouth finishes:
  • Ensure bottle mouth and neck are thoroughly cleaned and dry.
  • Understand that reused bottles (from a recycling source or other provider) can pose a challenge for all closures, including Nomacorc closures, as they come from different manufacturers and different glass molds resulting in variations in bottle height and bottleneck dimensions.
  • Pay close attention to bottle fill levels and headspace pressures.
Corking Equipment used with Nomacorcs
  • Any standard, well maintained corking machine may be used with Nomacorc closures, and special settings beyond those used with natural corks are not typically required.
  • Nomacorcs perform best on four-jaw feeding systems used with a vacuum.
  • Inspect the condition of the corking jaws prior to and during use.
  • Use extreme care when using manual corking machines with Nomacorc closures. Test to ensure the jaws don't damage the closures.
Bottling Process Used with Nomacorcs
  • Keep the compression speed of the closure slow, while keeping the speed of the closure insertion into the bottle fast.
  • Nomacorc recommends a maximum insertion of 1.0mm below the top of the bottle.
Ullage Pressure and Nomacorcs
  • When closing bottles under vacuum, the pump should be set to -0.5bar (-6.75psi). For the ideal seal, monitor the pressure in the ullage (headspace) approximately ten minutes after bottling to ensure it is between -0.3bar (-4.35psi) and +0.3bar (+4.35psi).
  • Be aware that the vacuum pump gauges may not accurately reflect the actual ullage pressure, so manual measurements through the closure into the headspace should be made with a pressure gauge attached to a thin needle.

I think maybe it not was just not quite enough ullage. I increased the space and recorked successfully.

There was only 1/8”-1/4” in those bottles so I increased to 1/4”-1/2”.

So I have been using natural corks for years with no trouble but decided to try Nomacorcs. Bottled today and noticed that they seemed a bit shorter and also went in with less resistance.

Then I noticed that a few of the corks started popping back out a bit as soon as I pulled them out. Tried recorking and same thing!?

I get these off Amazon and they were sold under the Nomacorc brand so am assuming they are authentic but who knows.

Anyone have similar problems with nomacorcs? would you trust the ones that stayed in or would you recork the whole batch (~6gal)?
i get mine on e-bay 1&3/4 select #9 they work fine, you have the 1&1/2 , when i run out I'll be getting mine from Amazon nomocroc green 300, but they sell in 1000 lots for $300, i swapped g, from natural Flor corks, i can store or hide laying or standing,, if you dry the inside of the bottle neck they should not come out, and keep your corks dry,,
Dawg

on e-bay you can get them #9's in 1&3/4 for $30 for 100 lot of cork
Dawg
i get mine on e-bay 1&3/4 select #9 they work fine, you have the 1&1/2 , when i run out I'll be getting mine from Amazon nomocroc green 300, but they sell in 1000 lots for $300, i swapped g, from natural Flor corks, i can store or hide laying or standing,, if you dry the inside of the bottle neck they should not come out, and keep your corks dry,,
Dawg

Does anyone actually dry the inside of the bottle necks before corking? If so, how do you do it??

1000 lots for $300,

😱

Good grief! I can get natural corks for a little over $200 per 1000*. "Agglomerated" for about $50 per 1000. For my white wines, never aged over 5 years, never had any problems with either natural or "agglomerated". So I tend to go agglomerated. One can use whatever they want, but do consider that buying the "best" and "most expensive" may not be worth it for your actual needs..... IMHO (and IMPE (In My Personal Experience)). YMMD (Your Millage May Differ).

* and that price includes the local 27% VAT!!!

Last edited:
I've used Nomacorcs for a few years -- my storage conditions are not ideal, and I had occasional leakage with natural corks, and mold growing on the outside of the cork. Once I started using the Nomacorcs, those problems went away.

My corker is the big blue floor corker -- I have no problems with creasing. I've seen mention of problems with the smaller red Portuguese corker, but some folks don't have a problem with it. I can't say if the corkers are different or if it's operator problems.

Does anyone actually dry the inside of the bottle necks before corking? If so, how do you do it??
I've never bothered and have no problems. My filler tube fills the bottle to the brim, when I pull it out the ullage is "correct" (well, it has always worked fine).

😱

Good grief! I can get natural corks for a little over $200 per 1000*. "Agglomerated" for about $50 per 1000. For my white wines, never aged over 5 years, never had any problems with either natural or "agglomerated". So I tend to go agglomerated. One can use whatever they want, but do consider that buying the "best" and "most expensive" may not be worth it for your actual needs..... IMHO (and IMPE (In My Personal Experience)). YMMD (Your Millage May Differ).

* and that price includes the local 27% VAT!!!
you ever bought FLOR corks? all will work, but i plan for after I'm gone being's i dont drink nowhere near as much as i bottle, just my preference...
Dawg

you ever bought FLOR corks? all will work, but i plan for after I'm gone being's i dont drink nowhere near as much as i bottle, just my preference...
I intend to be around to drink what I've bottled. But if I'm not? I have complete confidence that my sons and my nieces & nephews will pick up the slack!

i plan for after I'm gone being's i dont drink nowhere near as much as i bottle, just my preference...

Of course, to each their own, but as my whites will never last past 5 years, I am the optimist and expect I will be around at least that long.

And I am a terminal tight wad, so will not pay a premium for corks that will last more than 5 years.... If I could stick my thumb in a bottle that long, I would to save the cost of a cork..... :h

And I can buy quite a few long term useful tools for the money I save on a disposable product like a cork. :mny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back