nomacorc vs cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So, I was looking at corks. I have the premium 1-1 corks (says 4-6 years), but I was looking at the website and I see these nomacorc. They say they are good for 10 years.

Of course they don't look very nice though. What is your opinion of cork choices?

I Personally do like noma corks and have a lot of issues with them leaking. With that said there are others, including wineries that use noma corks exclusively without any issues. I uses 1+1 corks and have no issues with them. So as you can see, you'll get people on both sides of the fence so it's going to be your call.

I think Dan meant he does not like them. I tried them and stopped using them because they make a crease when corked that leaks. The cork might last 10 years, but the wine certainly won't if the bottle leaks.

As I understand it, the creasing problem is with floor corkers that have plastic jaws. I believe the Italian Corker with Brass Jaws is ok. It has to do with how the cork is compressed. I use a Swiss corker, and have not had any problems.

If you can get a few, try them with your corker. It either scores the cork, or it does not.

As I understand it, the creasing problem is with floor corkers that have plastic jaws. I believe the Italian Corker with Brass Jaws is ok. It has to do with how the cork is compressed. I use a Swiss corker, and have not had any problems.

If you can get a few, try them with your corker. It either scores the cork, or it does not.

I agree ^^

I really like the noma corks - I also push down the cork an additional 1/4'' and add wax to make a positive seal.

Funny story, I had the portuguese floor corker with the plastic jaws and it did not give me any problems but I know it did other people. I had my issues with steel jaws in a commercial corker, and again others have not. Yes I even replaced the jaws.

I have an Italian floor corker and that is the one that leaks. It is compounded with certain style bottles, depending on the shape of the neck. I had to pull hundreds of them that did not seal and replace them with real cork. To me it is easier to just use the real cork and avoid all the guess work. It all depends on your situation. In my case it just does not work for me.

I bottled an RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin Raspberry wine in champagne bottles a few months ago using Nomacorcs. The corks did not fit the champagne bottles tightly. Having inserted them just below the top of the bottle, I fond that I could push them into the bottles with my thumb if I applied enough pressure.

In defense of Nomacorc, the size of the bottle opening in the collection of champagne bottles I used seemed to vary so my application probably wasn't a good trial of the Nomacorc. But despite that, i don't think that I'll be using them again.

I recently bought a bag of 100 natural corks from a Portuguese cork company on eBay that I'll use for my next few wine batches.

Latest posts

Back