Nomacorc 1 1/2 vs 1 3/4

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niko13

Junior
Reaction score
Other than a quarter of an inch what is the difference between the Nomacorc 1 1/2" and 1 3/4". I am looking for something that will store my wine 10 years.

So, there are many different NormaCorcs. Everything else being equal, the longer ones will age longer. But you need to go to the vinventions website to see what their thoughts are. Because there are also wider ones, that presumably seal better. 10 years is likely pretty easy. 30 years is not. But as home wine makers with normal sized storage. Even 10 years may be more than necessary. I think a 4-6 year drinking time frame is most reasonable given the lack of infinity storage space.

I use exclusively Normacorcs, and have settled on These as the best for me. Rated for 15 years, nice corks, not too expensive. But you have to buy 1000 at a time.

I'm using the version of Nomacorc printed with the grape bunch on the side, sold by Midwest Supply. I emailed Midwest, asking what grade their Nomacorcs are. I'll post the reply when I get it.

A description of the grades is on the Nomacorc site.

I received an answer from Midwest:

As far as I can find, the ones we get ( from LD Carlson ) are "NOMACORC 9 X 1 1/2 SELECT 900 SERIES CORKS". I saw the various ones on the Nomacorc site, those seem to be even higher-grade than the ones we have always carried. The ones we sell are good for longer than most folks would ever need, easily 5+ years

BTW -- I give Midwest high marks for the speed of their shipping process and the return time in responding to questions.

There is no "Select 900" listed on the web site I mentioned in the last post. However, LD Carlson lists it as the same name (which is where I expect Midwest got it from). I found another site that said the Select 900 replaces the Classic series -- which the info sheet says is good up to 5 years. This doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

I hit the Nomacorc site -- the Classic series is presented as a good medium term solution (my description, not theirs). They present a lot of information without saying much. I submitted a request for samples -- not sure I'll get anything, but it's worth a shot.

Another BTW -- they are located in Zebulon, NC, about 20 miles from me.

This gives accurate measurements:

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=AR01OPNKCIOBT&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER
The Select Green 300s that I use are listed there. The 900s are 1mm smaller in diameter and say suitable for hand corking. It will take me 3 years to use 1000!

The Reservas listed first say good for 25 years. The Select green 300s say 10 years and the 500s say 8 years. The time frame for the 900s is not listed, but 5 years sounds like a reasonable estimate. It's likely far longer though, and I suspect normacorc doesn't want to be called out if one of their 900s fails at 10 years.

Anyway, 10 years for me seemed long enough, I may consider the Reserva 300s next time I need 1000, which will be awhile.

@CDrew, I agree with you -- the Select 900 probably has a lifespan well beyond 5 years. I expect Nomacorc under reports the lifespans to avoid litigation, so I'm probably good for at least 7 years, probably more.

In recent years, few of my wines have passed the 5 year mark, as I didn't make as much and, well, the wine got drunk (along with the people drinking it!). That changed 2 years ago, so I have concerns regarding longevity, as I'm making a lot more than I can reasonably (or even unreasonably) drink.

@niko13, I suspect that any of the Nomacorcs will actually satisfy your requirements. If you're feeling doubtful, buy the ones rated for 10 years, although the ones rated for 8 years are almost certainly sufficient.

Nomacorc never replied to my request for samples. I suspect they are completely unconcerned with home wine makers, as we do not individually buy enough corks to make even a blip on their annual financial report ....

Latest posts

Back