Noblesse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I've been using Opti-Red as a pre-fermentation additive for years, but am thinking of trying Noblesse this year. FWIW, I'm making a Grenache, a Pinot Noir and a Malbec. Anyone have experience with both or care to share your thoughts on Noblesse? TIA.

Last edited:
I've been using Opta-Red as a pre-fermentation additive for years, but am thinking of trying Noblesse this year. FWIW, I'm making a Grenache, a Pinot Noir and a Malbec. Anyone have experience with both or care to share your thoughts on Noblesse? TIA.

Interesting Jim, something I would have not thought of. Looks like it offers a lot of positive qualities.

I have used it in conjunction with Opti-red as 1/2 and 1/2 Noblesse. I have also used it in the Scott's labs Sulfur Defect protocol (sadly more times than once). I feel like it gives an increase mouthfeel and it absorbs sulfur defects. It says it rounds harsh tannins, adds slight sweetness, and helps integrate high alcohol. I like the results and have it on hand for all of my fermentations.

I finally got around to running chromatography this week and racked the Malbecs this morning. Not huge differences, but the Opti-Red is a little ahead in terms of color, mouthfeel, flavor and nose. This could be due to a number of things, but the enzyme was the only variable I introduced so far. If I had to sum it up, I'd just say the Opti-Red version just tastes more mature. Interestingly, it dropped more tartrates. All in all, the two batches are slightly different - both good though. I'm not certain if the enzymes are the difference or not.

Back