NO YEAST

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had some fast ferments lately and decided to perform a test.
I've used the same small room for the last 5 months, door always closed. Seems like there was always something in primary. Raided my canning shelf and came up with Apprika wine - apple juice, apple sauce, and dehydrated Leutschauer paprika peppers. (2 jars applesauce, 1 had raisins)

4/11 - SG 1.080 Mixed ingredients
4/12 - SG 1.074
4/13 - SG 1.048
4/14 - SG 1.032

DID NOT ADD YEAST. Still bubbling strong.

20220414_054836.jpg

😮 talk about flashbacks… I have seen that exact view in the 🚽 after some particularly nasty all-nighters in college 🤮
I vaguely remember college. All I can say is, you were able to reach the toilet? Lucky you!

The Apprika smells like apple wine, tastes good! The paprika is more flavor than heat.

You say you did not add yeast, but you did. There is yeast all around us all the time and even more so, when you do this in the closed space you normally ferment in. It is probably ec-1118 or some other strong strain, whatever you use most of the time. Looks like a 5 day ferment, which seems about right timewise.

You say you did not add yeast, but you did. There is yeast all around us all the time and even more so, when you do this in the closed space you normally ferment in. It is probably ec-1118 or some other strong strain, whatever you use most of the time. Looks like a 5 day ferment, which seems about right timewise.
The point of my experiment was to see if a mix of 71b and 1118 loitering around with nothing to do was sufficient for an active and robust fermentation. And it obviously is. Yes, a 5 day ferment is about right for a pack of yeast, but remember, this is all airborne. The "normal" progression of the ferment indicates to me I have a boatload of yeast in the air - and the boat gets bigger with each ferment.

The point of my experiment was to see if a mix of 71b and 1118 loitering around with nothing to do was sufficient for an active and robust fermentation. And it obviously is. Yes, a 5 day ferment is about right for a pack of yeast, but remember, this is all airborne. The "normal" progression of the ferment indicates to me I have a boatload of yeast in the air - and the boat gets bigger with each ferment.
If your boat gets big enough it’s called a ship. Then you have a shipload

Latest posts

Back