No Visual Signs of MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
I recently racked a new red wine blend (Cab Sav & Merlot) adding the MLF towards the end of primary fermentation, so about 7 days ago. After racking two days ago, the airlocks are still at the same initial level. The wine is about 14.5% ABV with a PH of 3.45. Could MLF already have happened, or do you sometimes not see any signs of it?

I am running my Chardonnay through MLF with a 13% ABV and PH of 3.2, and it is still bubbling a bit.

FYI, the culture is Viniflora CH16.

MLF is funny. Sometimes, it's clear as day and others, you think there's nothing happening. Do you have a way to test? You could always test now and again in a few weeks to see if there's a change.

I like to test chroma soon after racking off gross lees so I have a baseline comparison to check progress (or lack thereof)

can i ask why you decided to add it towards the end of AF? Biggest benefit of co-inoculation is low abv enviroment. Not that it’s wrong b/c it’s not, but co-inoculate into high abv wine and then pressing very soon after is not as common.

Get temps up to 75° or higher, stir up that thin lees, give a 1/2 shot of opti malo and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone, so for now I will not sweat it.

I forgot to mention the PH when I crushed was 4.3 and I had to add a decent amount of Tartaric acid to bring it down to 3.5 and balance the wine. Perhaps there is just not that much Malic acid in the wine. It did not taste tart when I tried it, unlike the Chardonnay that is going through MLF and had a natural PH of 3.2.

Back