No Tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkovic

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping to start making elderflower wine tomorrow and I have all the ingredients in my recipe apart from tannin. The recipe says 1 teaspoon of wine tannin. Is there any way I can use a substitute or is it really necessary? This is only my second time making wine and my first attempt went wrong last year so I really don't want to mess this one up!
Please let me know what you think... K

Hello Kkovik,

Welcome to the forum .

Make up a cup of strong black tea, let it cool and add that to your wine. It's the same as adding the powdered tannin.

Allie

You could skip it if you like but will end up with a wine with less body, you could also add some grape concentrate for this body or raisins!

I am harvesting elderflowers as we speak.
National holliday today, getting on my bike in an hour and start harvesting.
Yesterday evening I harvested enough for 10 liters (Edit: it was actually enoughfor 25 liter.) but that is just the beginning. I am aiming at 60 liter this year.

You can find my recipe on my weblog:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/05/vlierbloesemwijn-2-elderflowerwine-2.html

And it came out fabulous last year. So I am doing the same recipe again.
Like Wade said, you can (and I did) ommit the tannin.

And like Allie said: a cup of strong black tea (really strong) would be the best replacement.

Luc

Last edited:
None of that Namby Pamby liptons stuff either. Go for the gusto with british blend tetly's or something like it.

Thanks!!

That's good... I won't have to spend a load more money on shipping then!
Thank you everyone. My yeast arrived in the post today so I'll start everything tonight.
K

Latest posts

Back