No storage solution for new pH meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
I emailed Milwaukee today at 5:35 because the new pH meter I bought didn't come with storage solution, which the manual says you need to activate the electrode before use. Asking if there was another option, this is what they said:

Yes you can sub bottle drinking water and the soak time is 4 to 6 hours -- take the cap off the end of the unit and put the probe in a cup or jar with about 1 to 1.5 inch of bottle water -- after hydration then calibrated as described in manual and keep the prob in the jar or cup for long time storage.

Milwaukee Instruments after hours support

That email came in at 6:45. That's good customer service. Also good information to share. Or maybe everyone else knew. That happens to me a lot.

absent-minded Mud

Thanks for sharing Mud. I dont have 1 yet but really really need to get 1!

Thanks Mud!
My Ph Meter will arrive today and .... duh I forgot to order solution.
:)

Tim

you HAVE to keep it wet. the probe will fail. we've had one for 5 years now and killed a probe thinking it had enough solution. then we made 4-5 batches of wine with high acidity. basically lost half a years wine due to not calibrating, which i recommend every other batch or every 3 months. i caught the issue calibrating it and realized it wouldn't read the lowend right ever, even after being calibrated. i believe we didn't keep it saturated, but it's possible it died from old age :).

tips for using the digi pH meter:
#1 when you get the storage solution, make sure the little cap is completely full or overflowing with solution. or if using a cup make sure it's submerged.
#2 calibrate the unit often. every other batch or when it's been stored for a longer period (2-3 months).
#3 make sure to stir it some in the wine when you test it. the buffer solution seems to coat the probe and it's faster to swirl it in the wine a little.
#4 make sure to move it and test 2 areas in the wine as to make sure the wine is consitstent in pH and well stirred.

Back