No stabiliser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thompsound

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, first post...

When I make fruit wine I use campden tablets at the start of the process but don’t bother stabilising when fermentation has ended. I just wait...

Doing my first Beaverdale 23L kit (Sauvignon Blanc). Fermentation has now finished and it is suggested that I add the provided stabiliser and de-gas...

Instead of de-gassing I would normally just leave a wine in demijohns and wait... As mentioned I also wouldn’t normally add sulphites... Am in no rush...

Would it be alright to apply this method instead of following the kit instructions?

One of the reasons kit manufacturers provide clarifying agents (ie chitosan) is that kit users do not want to wait for instant gratification. Stabilizers (ie kmeta and ksorbate) are provided because manufacturers don't know how good user sanitation is. I have skipped the sorbate for more than 10 years now and had no problem. I think most commenters here (including me) would recommend that you use the kmeta.
I also use the clarifying agents and degas as I only do a 90 day process and I don't filter my wines.
If you are making a back-sweetened wine, you need to use the sorbate or it will ferment back to dry.

@Thompsound, yes, you can skip degassing and clarification. A lot of folks do. However, kits are optimized for the process described in the instructions. When making kits I follow the steps, although I ignore the timeframes indicated. Until fermentation completes, the hydrometer indicates when to rack, not the calendar. After fermentation I treat all time frames as minimum values, e.g., "2 weeks" is treated as "at least 2 weeks".

Another reason for degassing & clarifying -- the solids are removed from the wine sooner. If bulk aging, unless there is significant sediment buildup, there's no need to rack every 3 months.

While sulfite is not strictly a requirement, unless anyone drinking the wine is sensitive or allergic to sulfite, it's recommended to add it, especially before bottling. K-meta is an antioxidant and preservative -- it maintains the quality of your wine by neutralizing various contaminants, and extends the shelf life.

The standard advice is to add 1/4 tsp K-meta to a 5/6 gallon batch at each of the first couple rackings, and every 3 months during bulk aging.

I agree -- unless the wine has residual sugar, skip the sorbate.

Thanks for your responses... The sachet of stabiliser says preservative E223 and E202 and says 'Contains Sulphites'. There are 2 sachets of Finings. A is Kieselsol and B is Chitosan containing 'Crustaceans and Sulphites'.

I think I may follow instructions this first time seeing as the kits are optimised like winemaker81 points out...

Whilst I have you, I am using a Fastferment conical fermenter with collection ball. In the instructions, racking is advised before adding the various sachets. Would you agree in my circumstance seeing as I can get rid of my sediment with ease? The Fastferment help videos claim a 23L wine kit can all be done without racking. I am concerned that there will be some debris such as krausen which I wouldn't want in there when I stir in the sachets...

Thoughts?

Any further advice appreciated...

How important is clear wine? we rack to remove lees and have a cleaner wine when degassing or back sweetening or trying to squeeze out the last bottle, I have heard about getting air in the beverage when replacing the ball
Flavor? you sound like you will do a fast wine so I wouldn’t worry, long term yes
Other containers? If this is what you have you are forced to use it, I have been collecting sizes to rack to the next size down, your other option is top it off with a similar wine

I have debated getting a conical but the sales folks have not convinced me it is good on wine. In your situation I would be trying it aware the biggest risk is some turbidity in the wine.
I am using a Fastferment conical fermenter with collection ball. In the instructions, racking is advised before adding the various sachets.

The sachet of stabiliser says preservative E223 and E202 and says 'Contains Sulphites'. There are 2 sachets of Finings. A is Kieselsol and B is Chitosan containing 'Crustaceans and Sulphites'
The stabilizer is a mixture of sorbate and K-meta. Unless backsweetening, which since you're making a Sauvignon Blanc I expect not, don't use it. Use 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5/6 gallons. BTW: Campden tablets are great for 1 gallon batches; however, it's cheaper and easier to use powered K-meta for 3+ gallon batches.

I suggest discarding the stabilizer packet if you're not using it. Sorbate has a relatively short lifespan, so the general recommendation is to buy small packets and replace annually. With kits you have NO idea how old the sorbate is, so if you don't use it for that wine or if you don't need it for another wine within a few months, throw it away. Better safe than sorry -- if you stabilize with old sorbate, that kit will produce 25+ miniature volcanoes, as the renewed fermentation will blow the corks.

Kieselsol/chitosan is the most common fining agent included in kits for post fermentation clearing. Unless you are allergic to shellfish, it's not a problem and is amazingly effective.

Directions for use vary a bit. Add kieselsol first, stirring well then wait between 1 minute and 24 hours and add the chitosan, stirring well. Yes, the timespan between the two varies dramatically, depending on the vendor.

What I do:
  • Rack the wine into a primary fermenter.
  • Degas with a drill-mounted stirring rod, changing direction every 30 seconds for 2 minutes. You don't have to really whip the wine -- good stirring will start the degassing process.
  • Add the kieselsol and stir for 1 minute, changing directions half way through.
  • Cover the fermenter with a towel and let rest 1 hour. The wine is continuing to emit CO2 so oxygen exposure is not a problem.
  • Add the chitosan and stir for 1 minute, changing directions half way through.
  • Rack into a carboy and possibly into smaller containers.
Note: a drill-mounted stirring rod is not essential, but once you use one, you'll wish you bought it sooner.

23 liter kit instructions typically state to use a 23 liter carboy, and that headspace is not a problem, although you can top up with a compatible wine. Folks that have done this say there are no bad results from leaving the headspace, and I believe them.

Me? Too many years of leaving minimal headspace post-fermentation, so I can't bring myself to leave headspace. I use 19 liter carboys, filling to within 2" of the stopper. The remainder goes into smaller containers, of which I have a large collection, along with drilled stoppers & airlocks for all. Regular wine bottles take a #3 drilled stopper.

What is a compatible wine? It's either the same type, e.g., use Sauvignon Blanc in your current kit, or something that is a good flavor match. For SB, pretty much any mild white will do. I recommend that topping wine be at least as good in quality as the wine you are making. Don't use an inferior wine, as any blend will be no better than the lesser of the wines. At the same time, don't spend $50 on a bottle ... for most kits a typical $10-$13 bottle is fine.

After a month or so I sometimes put the excess wine in screwcap bottles with the cap firmly tightened, after I'm positive there is no CO2 being emitted. With screwcaps, turn the bottle over and check for leaks. If there is a leak, put the wine in a different bottle and recycle the leaky one. Screwcaps can be reused a few times, but the seal degrades eventually. I do NOT recommend screwcaps for long term storage -- I use them only during bulk aging.

Latest posts

Back