No Potassium Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll tell you my theory on pH, others who are more knowledgeable can comment/correct. I make wine that I can enjoy now, as well as 5 years from now. To achieve the longevity the wine must be in a microbial hostile environment. The hostile environment is created by the acidity, alcohol and free SO2 in the wine. There is a logarithmic relationship of the efficacy of free SO2 and the acidity. The lower the pH the less SO2 is needed to be added to achieve the same level of protection. This is one reason it is important to have a handle on pH.
The other is balance of the wine. Achieving some level of acidity that balances out other flavors in the wine is important to me. This however is not done with the pH meter, but by tasting it. As I remember, DB has plenty of acid, so any adjustments you would want to make at this point should be for taste. Do trials and extrapolate to your volume of DB.
I’d let the DB sit for 6 months and see if it clears on its own. You will also be rewarded with a much better tasting wine.

OK, I think I get it, thank you. And thanks for keeping it simple for this guy who slept through chemistry. Sounds like at this point I let what I got sit and adjust by taste before I bottle. And the longer I let it sit, the better it'll get. But use the ph tester on the initial fermentation in the future.

Latest posts

Back