No More Grapes/Juice from Harford

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Got the bad news earlier. I need to do some exploring. This sucks and may very well put me out of business. :(

I didn't see this thread, I replied to another. Hopefully some place will pick up the slack. My wife wondered if the events they held most weekends were starting to produce enough sales?

There's always frozen juice from PI Wines? WineGrapes Direct thought about securing some freezer space in Hazelton, still not close but that would be nice. Don't know what happened to the idea. I have lot's of local connections for Fall grapes, but nothing for Spring ones yet. Maybe Brian @ Adams County winery could stop making wine for a day or two and they could offer some in the Spring? (I know, wishful thinking)

I'll let you know what I get from grapemasters. Although it's been THREE WEEKS since I ordered (as of monday when they'll finally ship it). I'm running dangerously close to being out of town for two weeks for work and I'm going to be upset if my 8 month pregnant wife has to receive all 3 buckets and take care of them while I'm away because they sat on shipping it.

Despite the shipping so far being horrible, ive heard the quality is awesome

Got the bad news earlier. I need to do some exploring. This sucks and may very well put me out of business. :(

And the Oscar for best dramatic scene goes to............!

Mr Boatboy- the news is just fresh that’s all. Nobody’s winemaking careers are going out of business!! adding a few hours each way would only be enough to put you out if winemaking wasn’t terribly important. But alas- it IS important. And Broad Run Cellars WILL adapt with the times.
For perspective—Look at your buddies down south. @Johnd and @ibglowin Those dudes are driving a whole lotta hours and getting damn hotel rooms for their grapes some years!
Still plenty of options— with trekking to next closest joint or there’s always frozen must. And maybe this is just opening doors for new opportunities now. —-hear me out ...

I know a lot of you guys have a routine with getting a few different varietals totaling a few hundred
Lbs. BUT— if enough people are interested and can agree on the same varietals from the same vineyard- maybe we could actually put our heads together and secure a high quality bulk purchase that would otherwise not be available to the smaller volume home winemaker. If that were to happen- then there could be centralized location to get our grapes. (Or we crush together and take home must like @sour_grapes just did)
Collingswood grapes in Cleveland offer some higher quality fruit. Some varietals are only available in 500lb minimums. But really need a big bulk purchase to warrant a delivery. If an order doesn’t fill a truck, then it’s also possible to tag along within another delivery locally. Some wineries in the area order from them and a deal could Most certainly be reached. I spoke with them before about this. Their highest quality most expensive grapes are from Sonoma Alexander valley, lake county (next to Napa’s) red hills, and wash st. Red mountain — all near $2.25 per lb. And their cheapest grapes are Lodi at about $1.20 per lb. I was also told that with a big bulk purchase all prices can further negotiated. Order in by mid August was fine he said too. Just something to think about. Might be cool. AD788945-6A32-41A9-9F2F-DDAAAF22F94F.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at your buddies down south. @Johnd and @ibglowin Those dudes are driving a whole lotta hours and getting damn hotel rooms for their grapes some years!
I was actually thinking about a few of the trips they had both made lately when I heard the news. We'll adapt, but it's tough when we realize how good we had it (proximity, quality, great customer service). It was easy to take for granted. I've gotta take those two wines I made from my local wine grower and let him have a taste as I size up the probability of getting some local grapes from him this Fall.

I immediately googled the distance for Gino Pinto. It's about a 3 hr drive for me so not too bad especially if others will be there the same time. I also have my fingers crossed I would be able to get enough local grapes this fall. Plus I do like the idea of a large shared purchase but where to receive it might be a problem. I have a warehouse with a forklift for unloading but it would be a bit of a drive for most.

I immediately googled the distance for Gino Pinto. It's about a 3 hr drive for me so not too bad especially if others will be there the same time. I also have my fingers crossed I would be able to get enough local grapes this fall. Plus I do like the idea of a large shared purchase but where to receive it might be a problem. I have a warehouse with a forklift for unloading but it would be a bit of a drive for most.
It's funny. I did distances for me and Pearmund comes up as 2 hrs and 3 minutes. So Keystone in Bethlehem, Keystone in Montgomeryville, Procacci Bros in Philly and Pearmund are all within a few minutes of 2 hours for me (I think the longest was 2 hrs 11 minutes).

Fred: There is an S&S Grapes near Columbia, MD. I know someone that has been buying from them for years and loves them. I've called a few times and emailed in the past, but have never received a response. Guess they don't need the business.

Wow, it does suck.

I was just starting a thread to let you guys know....

I have tried S&S as well and never got an answer.
And @heatherd, your mission, if you decide to take it, is to find a local source for both Spring and Fall grapes, closer than Harford, yet cheaper... :)

I've been having Harford crush and destem for me, and haven't bought any of that equipment. This may push me toward frozen must.

Keystone homebrew offers the crush/destem service. Pretty cheap too. I think it was $1 per lug. And $.05 per lb if c/d grapes purchased from elsewhere.

I feel your guys pain. I’m half tempted to invest in a refrigerated truck and start a business redistributing grapes right out of the back!
In the meantime I’m always willing to go in on a bulk purchase. Keystone sells some by 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton. My fall plan is to purchase about 500lbs of the best Cabernet grapes I’m able to find. If anyone wants to piggyback just give me a holler.

If keystone offered de-stemming, crushing, freezing and shipping of the fresh stuff I'd buy a lot more from them. the Vino brand they have is GREAT. It's just pricey and limited in variety.

Latest posts

Back