No More Bubbly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowIQGenius

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've just started my first ever wine from fresh fruit (strawberry), and I'm worried. My fruit order arrived 4 days ago, so I started on the recipe I'm using (by the way, I ran out of sugar so I used a few ounces of honey instead). After only 2 days of fermenting virtually all bubbling stopped. My hydrometer only got here this morning (so I couldn't use it to double check the recipe). Sp. Grav. is at 1.000, but I'm just not sure that there's enough alcohol in the mix to make a good wine. Any suggestions? Can I still add more sugar or honey? Lastly, I used Lalvin D-47 yeast. Thanks!

Without knowing the initial S.G. you would just be guessing as to the ABV. If you would list the recipe and how much sugar that was added it would help. You can always add alcohol if it's not strong enough.

The recipe is as follows:

Enough water to make 1 gallon
4 lbs strawberries (fresh or frozen)
2 lbs sugar (you can use light honey if you like)
1 tsp acid blend (or juice from 1 lemon)
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme

Also, how do you add alcohol later on?

Two lbs sugar/gal + the sugar from the fruit should give a 12.5-13% ABV.

To add additional alcohol you could use vodka or Everclear. Just remember that you've already got alc. present so you'd be adding to it. Or, you could add a bottle of brandy (St. Remy is my choice) which would make a very interesting batch.

Sac, could it have finished fermenting in only a couple days?

check temperature

what is the temp. of your must? If it cooled down to far that will stop your fermenting also.

Back