No Grape Cherry Zin??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the net.

Any thoughts on how this would do? The odd part (to me), is that it is made with canned fruits only, which I priced out at $5/can at the local grocery store, resulting in a recipe cost of about $115 for a 5 gallon batch:

Cherry Zinfandel – No Zin Grapes but a GREAT Taste!

By Mike Carraway

When we bottled it, it didn't taste very good - I have to be honest. I thought it was just another failure.

WRONG! 7 months in the bottle makes a HUGE difference.

So, without further adeaux....

Here is my recipe for what I call "Cherry ZIN" (you WILL NOT find this anywhere else):

This recipe is for 5 Gallons

5 cans Blackberrys(from the store)
5 cans Cherrys(pitted - from store)
5 Cans Blueberrys (from the store)
13 cans Frozen Grape Concentrate
1 box Sunmaid Raisans
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 tablespoon pectin enzyme
6 ounces med. toast oak chips
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient

Process raisans, blackberries, cherries, blueberries in food processor.

Put in a large pot and add the peppercorns, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, and wood chips.

Add 2 cups water. Bring to a low boil and then turn off stove. Let the mixture cool to 85 degrees.

Strain the mixture into your primary fermenter.

Add your 13 cans of grape juice concentrate. Add 1 gallon of warm water.

Check SG. Add Sugar water to bring SG to 1.1. Top off with water/sugar-water. Stir vigorously. Add 4 crushed/powdered Campden tablets and let sit overnight.

Pitch your yeast and continue from here as usual.

Once you bottle this stuff (in about a month and a half), leave it in the bottle for at least 7 or 8 months.

It tastes like crap until then - I KNOW.

This wine has a wonderful aroma. It has a multilayered flavor that you will absolutely love.

My wife said it was the best homemade stuff EVER. See what your spouse or significant other says.

Cheers!
Your Wine Buddy,

cherry zin

I seen some cherry zin at the store tonight and was wondering about it... Well I plan on making some or at least give it a try ...I will keep you posted. but I plan on using fresh cherry's,blackberry's..

"Put in a large pot and add the peppercorns, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, and wood chips.

Add 2 cups water. Bring to a low boil and then turn off stove. Let the mixture cool to 85 degrees."

I would not put pectic, oak or nutrient in any boil.
Sounds pricey to me
I would rather see you get some fresh zin juice and blend cherry into it.

Id get a zin kit or juice bucket and a can of Vintners Harvest Cherry wine base to make that myself.

You know Tom, that's kinda what I was thinking.

This recipe was touted to be a VERY CHEAP wine recipe, but is more expensive than some kits.

Latest posts

Back