no cure for klutziness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
i started my blackberry today! 12 # of farm fresh frozen and one can of blackberrries in concentrate (county fair brand). when i was putting the canned blackberries in the paint strainer bag, already 1/2 full of above said berries, the bag came loose from the side and 1/2 the berries in the can landed on the OUTSIDE of the bag:m
i managed to snag majority of those with my hand held strainer and get them in the bag. i'm sure at least a fist-sized portion landed in the must:(
this isn't going to be too large of a problem is it?

btw, i didn't want to start a new thread or anything, but this recipe called for 10# sugar. s.g. with any sugar was 1.010.
i just added four pounds (dissolved in warm must) and it brought the s.g. up to 1.070!!! do i even need to add anymore?

Last edited:
You can use a little more sugar. go for 1.085. Or maybe some golden raisins.
The berries outside of the bag wont be an issue. They will be racked away.

thanks dan, i will try a little bit more sugar to get that s.g. up...i will report back later...

hehe, I feel your pain... Lets not discuss the strawberry must mess on the kitchen stove right now...

Oh or that new hydrometer I had to go run out and buy yesterday; Sterilizing it, managed to fumble it trying to put it back in the thief... Lady at the new wine store laughed and said "ya dropped it didn't ya?" <insert my red face> "Don't worry everyone does it - at least a few times a year".

Hopefully the big oops's are done with and the rest of the ferment runs smooth eh?

LMFAO, I seen Ricas title to her post and I thought she said, "no cure for kindness"!

But, after reading this, yep, and no.:)

LMFAO, I seen Ricas title to her post and I thought she said, "no cure for kindness"!

But, after reading this, yep, and no.:)

ok sid, which is the yep and which is the nope, lol lol

i've added 3 (more) large, rounded cups of sugar, dissolved in must and brought it up to 1.082...i think that's close enough (and the recipe called for 10#...this took a little less than 5#:re)...will pitch yeast tomorrow...wish me luck...hubby hope's there is no smell with blackberries:gb

RICA, just like any recipe, quit messin with it.. Sounds perfect to me. Let it go and start another,

If we all had the answeres we wouldn't neeed this forum to begin with.

My friend came by asking me for a pickling recipe. I said vinegar and water.

Ask me for a chicken noodle soup or a spaghetti sauce recipe, and I will tell you the same......

There is no recipe!

Sounds like you're at a good place to get ready to pitch yeast. Good luck!

For my blackberry and my strawberry peach I didn't use a bag. Dumped everything in the bucket. When they reached 1.020 I used my tupperware strainer and pulled them all out. It was simple and it was easier to stir and push down.

There is no exact science to this. Whatever works for you. Hey if it wasn't for accidents we wouldn't have silly putty.

I tried to use that putty once, all it did was kept cracking jokes, I couldn't stand it any more so I tried to beat it with a hammer, and, I'll be darned, it regained its shape and continued on with the silly jokes.

Some things you just cant win.

For my blackberry and my strawberry peach I didn't use a bag. Dumped everything in the bucket. When they reached 1.020 I used my tupperware strainer and pulled them all out. It was simple and it was easier to stir and push down.

There is no exact science to this. Whatever works for you. Hey if it wasn't for accidents we wouldn't have silly putty.

i like the idea about being easier to stir and push down. the peaches were kinda difficult for me because of that. i'm waay short and i would put the full 5 gal. bucket in the floor to stir and then have to lift it back up on the counter. i'm just tooo short. think i'm gonna get a stool for the utility aka wine room. i'm hoping the blackberries won't be so unwieldy in the bag.

I believe it's a little easier for the yeasts and pectic enzymes to get in there and do their job. With a strainer bag it's pull them out, without the bag it's an extra few minutes. Big deal.

For my blackberrys When it reached 1.020 I pulled them and placed them into another primary with sugar water to create a blackberry rose". It's clearing right now. I let everyone know how it comes out.

Now that's getting use out of your fruit.

For my blackberrys When it reached 1.020 I pulled them and placed them into another primary with sugar water to create a blackberry rose". It's clearing right now. I let everyone know how it comes out.

ooh, steve, can i copy off u?
i'd be willing to give it a whirl!
not another 5 gallon though? how much?

RICA, you can either use a paint straining bag or a nylon stocking to contain your fruit.

Its a lot easier than trying to press down the fruit each time.
And when its all done just give it a good squeeze. No need to stir it during the primary, it will find its way!

I believe it's a little easier for the yeasts and pectic enzymes to get in there and do their job. With a strainer bag it's pull them out, without the bag it's an extra few minutes. Big deal.

ok, steve, i'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so need some advice...
after cleaning up the foamed over apple/pear spice (see new thread, lol)
instead of cleaning up/out all the apple quarters in the primary, i added 2 gallons of water with dissolved 1 lb. sugar back into the bucket and put the airlock on. it's bubbling away...anyone ever make an "apple rose" lol

Latest posts

Back