no bubbles when degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szap

Reaction score
I am in the process of making washington merlot kit. After three weeks I got to clearing and stabilized step where the instructions said to transfer and stir for 10 minutes. I use a drill and degassing whip. The stirring did not produce any co2 bubbles . I have made a number of wine kits and always had bubbles and in some cases foam when degassing. This degassing produced nothing. Is this something to be concerned about?

Does it taste like it has CO2 in it; bubbly, tingly? You can test by filling a bottle 1/3 full, put thumb over the top and shake as hard as you can for ten seconds. Note: do this outdoors. If it passes this test, I wouldn't whip it up.

Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested and there was co2 in the bottle.

I have been reading on vacuum degasing. Didn't know there was any other option than whipping.

If the wine is too cold it can be a bear to degas. Should be in the mid 70's or so. Arne.

I have taken to using an old heating pad under the carboy to raise the temp. Did some racking last week...one warm carboy degassed very quickly. The other two were room temp, about 67 degrees...they took much longer to degas....and they have notes to remind me to degas again.

You may or may not want to try this....if you have a good clean sanitized carboy brush...stir real good and then stick the carboy brush in...you will get a rush of CO2...from all the nucleus points/bristles.

Something I have noticed sense starting to make fruit wines this summer. I made kits for several years with an air locked primary. Now I cover my primary with a towel, stir and record SG and temp every day. I think that the stirring to bring oxygen to the must is also driving off co2. When I get the whip out to degas a few weeks later, there are far less bubbles than I am used to seeing with the kits. Like Arne says, make sure you are warm enough. That makes a big difference.

Latest posts

Back