no bubbles in blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
making blueberry wine. after about 1 week, s.g. got down to .990 so i transferred to a 5 gallon carboy ( added 1/3 gallon water so would be full ). i put a "top" on ( plastic cork device 1/2 filled with water ). i thought there were supposed to be bubbles coming out of it, but i haven't seen any--is something possibly wrong?

It may be fermenting slowly such that the gas doesn't gather into bubbles and rise to the top. The CO2 may just be absorbing into the must. That last point is especially relevant, seeing as you recently racked. Some natural degassing happens when you rack. That is normal.

Either way, there's not much to do about it. .990 may be the lowest it goes and there is nothing you can do to eke out that last hundreth. It is what it is.

There will only be bubbles while your wine is fermenting and judging by you nice low sg your wine is done fermenting! You might get a few bubbles here and there but that will be just from trapped C02 coming out of suspension. Its time to add sulfite, sorbate if you are going to sweeten your wine and degas it now. Also add a fining agent unless you are going to just let time do its thing.

.990 is very very low and most wines dont make it down this far! You may proceed to next step.

.990 is very very low and most wines dont make it down this far! You may proceed to next step.

WOW, my blueberry wines usually don't get to 1.00 or under for at least 2 months.

Next time, you might try what the recipe I use calls for and transfer to secondary once the wine reachs 1.030 (this will happen at 3-5 days). Don't add anything to the wine, just sanitize the carboy and rack it over. I fill to just past the shoulder and leave a good-sized headspace for any foaming. Put any leftover in another smaller bottle and airlock it, too, for topping up later.

Once it settles down in another week, you can top off with the extra wine and/or water. Mine usually settles down to a nice slow bubbling and bubbles a little bit right through 2 months sometimes. Rack monthly, adding k meta every other racking until it ferments out.

As far as your wine goes now, do you see any bubbles on the surface where the settled wine meets the carboy walls? If so, you likely have some degree of fermentation still going. I've had blueberry get so slow late that it issues a bubble only every 10 minutes or so. But it's still working! I guess that's why the recipe I use says not to even THINK of bottling it until after 3 months.

Blueberry at .990 needs sugar. Blueberry flavor seems to need sweetness to come out.

Latest posts

Back