No Alcohol Detected

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joemg

Junior
Reaction score
I started with a 1.040 ended with a 0.991. I added the strawberry F-Pack. I had a few friends sample it and they all told me it tasted like fruit juice. Is there a way to reintroduce sugar and yeast to create fermentation again, even after bottling?

if you start another wine begin with a specific gravity or 1.090. get it fermenting and then add a cup or two of this wine periodically. best to measure specific gravity before addition then measure after addition, monitor the wine until it achieves the sg before the addition of wine b. then add again continue until all is fermented.

If you started with 1.040 and ended with .991, then you have an alcohol content of 6.7% according to the online calculator i used. If this is a fruit kit or mist kit then the addition of what is normally a large f-pack will give it a sweet taste (also hides any flaws with the wine). it will still have alcohol, though it may not be a potent as you were expecting. You could always fortify it with grain alcohol or everclear. this would increase the alcohol and help balance the sweetness. Just a thought

cheers

I started with a 1.040 ended with a 0.991. I added the strawberry F-Pack. I had a few friends sample it and they all told me it tasted like fruit juice. Is there a way to reintroduce sugar and yeast to create fermentation again, even after bottling?
Those f packs usually Include sorbate, not sure if it would prevent re-ermentation but I suspect this to be the case. If it's a red, you can balance with tannin and acid maybe? Other than that you might just be stuck with a summer wine.

Next time, start out with an SG of around 1.090.
That's our target for raspberry and cranberry wines, so I would think strawberry would be similar.

Latest posts

Back