RJ Spagnols no alcohol content s.g@1

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorwinemaker

Junior
Reaction score
using a spagnols gerwurtzraminer kit. hydrometer reading s.g @1 after day 42. At first wine seemed to be fermenting very well. After day14 s.g.was @1.1. Kit instructions said it should be 0.998 or lower.Transferred to carboy and left for 28 days. s.g.still@1. Doesn't taste bad but indications are that there is no alcohol content. Any remedy?

What was your starting sg? If it was 1.1 like you stated and is now 1.000 then you have a little over 13% which is a very good abv! .002 is not much a difference nd that is just a number that is generic and does not always happen. Did you degas this wine as a gassy wine will also give you higher readings on your hydrometer. Can you be a little more specific as to which wine kit this is as a white wine always seems to stop a little highre also.

poorwinemaker:

your problem is that you do not understand the hydrometer. sg 1.000 means very little more sugar to ferment (ie POTENTIAL alcohol remaining is 0%).

Also I strongly doubt that the sg was 1.100 at day 14. It may not even have been that high on day 1. On day 14, it was probably below 1.000, say .995. On day 42, after you added the sorbate and the suss reserve pouch it might be 1.000.

You need to talk to your local retailer (if you have one) about using the hydrometer. Or read one of the web-sites about hydrometers. BTW, this is one of the hardest things for new winemakers to understand.

I've lost the link I used to have for a good page on this, but the following looks pretty good,
http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrometer_use.htm

Steve

Last edited:
If you need more help reading a hydrometer pm me or post Beginning wine makers and we'll be glad to help with pics.

using a spagnols gerwurtzraminer kit. hydrometer reading s.g @1 after day 42. At first wine seemed to be fermenting very well. After day14 s.g.was @1.1. Kit instructions said it should be 0.998 or lower.Transferred to carboy and left for 28 days. s.g.still@1. Doesn't taste bad but indications are that there is no alcohol content. Any remedy?

The temperature of the wine can affect the SG reading. Hydrometers are usually calibrated for about 60 degrees F. Higher temperatures will increase the reading.

Also, when measuring the SG, you need to take into account that liquids will form convex or concave shape at the surface - so when reading the hydrometer, the reading is taken at the middle of the test cylinder, where the wine is at the lowest point (called the meniscus) - and not at the side of the cylinder where the wine will tend to "creep up" the side.

Good post Ian!

Thanks, Wade! Congratulations on a very nice winemaking forum. I'm glad I found it. I'll link to it from my blog's "Bookmarks."

Nice profile pic too :). Although my other passion is fly fishing - but I've been known to make some loud banging noises from time to time.

Back