no air lock activity...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adidas311

Junior
Reaction score
First time making wine.. Crushed 12 cases then transferred to open vat waited 24 hours then added yeast then waited 4 days then added ferment o then waited 3 more days then pressed the must... also each day pushed the cap down 3 times a day.. so total of 8 days in open fermenter.. after finished pressing everything i put all the juice back into the vat to stir everything up and then put everything in demijohn and carboys...

On first day after crushing the grapes the brix reading was at 25 now on the last day after pressing I'm at a negative 3 on the brix.. and its been in the carboys for 2 days and im getting no airlock activity...

Did something go wrong.. is it good that im at 0% sugar level and fermentation is over?????

Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a low alcohol wine, 30-32 brix would yield more. I'm just thinking that the increased alcohol level would aid in protecting the wine, over time (no really! :))

I didn’t think it would happen so fast. Is that a bad thing? I took gravity reading on day 1 Brix 25 sg 1.1057 then second reading was taken 8 days later -1brix fg 0.995 is there any alcohol left I’m confused

I didn’t think it would happen so fast. Is that a bad thing? I took gravity reading on day 1 Brix 25 sg 1.1057 then second reading was taken 8 days later -1brix fg 0.995 is there any alcohol left I’m confused
man you fermented out dry. But that reading is perfect you have a wine with just the right amount of alcohol.

Ok i don't know how to start a new conversation on here so I'm hijacking yours! ..... need advice....About 18 months ago I started a 6 gallon carboy of wild texas Mustang grape wine at the same time I started a 3 gallon jar of pear wine. Mustang great wine is now ready to bottle and it's beautiful however a few weeks after starting the pear wine it wouldn bubble and I had a funky scent so I decided to toss it... my husband took it out to the barn to go empty at later. Now fast forward 18 months later to now he just found it he forgot to empty it. Oddly enough the air lock still had water in it. And the liquid inside was clear on top with fruit must on the bottom and a strong alcohol scent... To say the least we were quite surprised it wasn't just rotten mold.... So we cyphered tiny bit off the top to taste, it was alcoholic for sure like rubbing alcohol ....tasted horrible! I mixed it up when moving it around of course but tested it anyway with hydrometer.....it read at..0* alcohol potential and .900.....Any suggestions? Should i try straining and adding sugar to restart or toss it?

8 days is not an unusual time for fermentation to complete. Situation is normal.

I've had one or two complete in 3 days (surprised the heck out of me), but most finish in 5 to 8 days. When fermenting cold (upper 50's F) I've had wines take 3+ weeks.

Trust your hydrometer!

Ok i don't know how to start a new conversation on here so I'm hijacking yours!
When you are viewing the forum list (not inside a message) look for a Post New Thread button in the upper right corner of the screen.

So we cyphered tiny bit off the top to taste, it was alcoholic for sure like rubbing alcohol ....tasted horrible!
Dump it. In my experience sugar may make it drinkable ... if you are desperate.

Trust your nose. If it smells like garbage ... it is. :)

My earlier post about the alcohol content: I was looking at my hydrometer, and what I thought was a Brix scale (I use SG), was 'oz. of sugar/gallon', to show how much to add to get a specific SG. So I was wrong, you learn something new every day! That really is a handy scale, and I will use it. I was using Fermcalc and Winecalc, downloadable calculators.

So THAT's why they have that little paper in the Hyrdo. tube!

Ok i don't know how to start a new conversation on here so I'm hijacking yours! ..... need advice....About 18 months ago I started a 6 gallon carboy of wild texas Mustang grape wine at the same time I started a 3 gallon jar of pear wine. Mustang great wine is now ready to bottle and it's beautiful however a few weeks after starting the pear wine it wouldn bubble and I had a funky scent so I decided to toss it... my husband took it out to the barn to go empty at later. Now fast forward 18 months later to now he just found it he forgot to empty it. Oddly enough the air lock still had water in it. And the liquid inside was clear on top with fruit must on the bottom and a strong alcohol scent... To say the least we were quite surprised it wasn't just rotten mold.... So we cyphered tiny bit off the top to taste, it was alcoholic for sure like rubbing alcohol ....tasted horrible! I mixed it up when moving it around of course but tested it anyway with hydrometer.....it read at..0* alcohol potential and .900.....Any suggestions? Should i try straining and adding sugar to restart or toss it?
ooops

Dumping sounds correct here.
Normally i would say make vinegar with some thing you probably wont drink. But if its offensive and you cant drink it, dump it

Latest posts

Back