NM Vine and Wine Society

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So just spent the last 2 days at my first official "wine conference". :D

It was the 2011 New Mexico Vine and Wine Society Conference. Over all, very pleased. It was a great program with something for everybody (see agenda attachment). The big guys were all there as well as the someday wanna be big guys (like me!). Met a bunch of really nice people to boot. There were talks about Oak alternatives from Sta-Vin, MLF Fermentations from Scott Labs, Winery design, tasting room design, Vine problems (Grape Leaf Roll Virus). Working with Hybrids. Making Ultra Premium Wine. Just something for everybody.

Since it was a joint venture with our State Ag College (NMSU) we had people from there as well on hand to give talks and answer questions. The big topic of course was the impact of the worst freeze in probably 75 years in the State that occurred back the first week in February where even down South where we have 700 acres of Vinifera Noble planted (Our state mecca for grapes) it got down as low as -10 for some time and was below freezing for 3 days.

I met a lot of winemakers, got to pick their brains about the unique problems we face with our grapes and how to adjust the chemistry and work with them and we even had several fun wine tastings to boot.

Some of the problems we face here in the state is an overall lack of a really strong backing from the state to support the Wine Industry and how do we overcome it. How do we get the State to promote wine tourism (wine trails) wine promotion in restaurants and stores, and just how do we get more $$$ from the state to promote the industry overall especially during these tough economic times.

If you have something similar in your own state, I heartily recommend seeking them out and doing as I did. Join the organization and learn more about the workings of the industry and more about your own hobby/obsession. Its certainly much cheaper than the annual Winemaker Magazine conference (Ours was only $130 + $30 for the membership for the two day conference) and you will learn just as much plus won't have to travel as far (most likely!) You will also make a lot of new friends. Winemakers are for the most part really nice people!

View attachment nmvws-schedule-2011.pdf

Sounds like you had a really good time at the conference. I do agree with you that a states grower/vintners association is a great thing to belong to. The annual conferences are a fantastic opportunity to meet with like minded folks, learn alot, and have a good time too! My states annual conference was this weekend. Unfortunately this slow economy has made me miss it this year.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Did anyone from the southern area show up? Wickhams from Tularosa Vineyards or Arena Winery? How exciting!!! Hope NM gets the backing it needs, there are some wonderful wines and wineries out there! Deming wines are becoming my fave....got a bottle of Mimbres red from St Claire calling my name!!!

Yep,

Dave was there from Tularosa. Did not see Arena Winery and interestingly enough no one was there from St. Clair Winery, they are easily "Goliath" in the State. Their ultra premium DH Lescombes 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon won a gold medal at the recent San Francisco international wine competition and it won our blind taste testing of 6 medal winners for local grown Cabernet Sauvignon. Its a pretty killer cab. I have several in my own cellar (its really that good!)

They also had a raffle for a 100L stainless steel flex fermentation tank for $5 a pop. I only bought one (you can't win if you don't play as they say). I sadly did not win but the guy that did win said he bought so many he didn't want to say! :<

Did anyone from the southern area show up? Wickhams from Tularosa Vineyards or Arena Winery? How exciting!!! Hope NM gets the backing it needs, there are some wonderful wines and wineries out there! Deming wines are becoming my fave....got a bottle of Mimbres red from St Claire calling my name!!!

Miss Dave, he used to come into the bank when I worked there. Super nice guy and knows alot about his craft. Last I knew his son Chris was in on the fun as well. I was dumbfounded and skeptical both, when vineyards started popping up back home, especially in that red dirt lol....but wow! Great things happenin the red dirt!!!

I've been hearing great things about black mesa too....

....speaking of which, there's a site I need to check out...

Latest posts

Back