Nitrogen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick c.

Junior
Reaction score
Do many winemakers use nitrogen for storage and serving wine? Where do you get it, other than buying a tank and regulator?

I have a corny keg setup (the 5 gallon stainless tanks previously used for Coke and Pepsi) that I use for storage and serving of homebrew. I would like to use one of these for bulk aging and possibly for serving the wine, but I don't have source of Nitrogen or anything else inert. I know I could buy a tank and regulator, but I was hoping for a lower cost solution.

Other than a tank and regulator I don't know what to tell you. I did a Google search of the town listed under your user name and searched Airgas. It looks like you have a couple locations in your area. They would be an excellent choice to get your gas. Thats where I get my beer gas (nitro/co2 mix) tanks at. If you have a local bar that has a lot on tap you might ask them where they get their gas at. The supplier may have something that can help you out.

I know people who use nitrogen to push the wine from a corny keg (only way to do it W/O carbonating the wine). You will need a 5# tank and regulator. I get my CO from a welding supply wholesaler. Not sure if have nitro.. worth a shot thou..

Thanks- there is a local welding shop that I get my CO2 from. Maybe they have some used ones...

Back