Nice surprise - i have a persimmon tree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Just discovered i had 2 small persimmon trees on my property line.

Should have enough to do a gallon!!

perfect timing jon. i was gonna ask a ? about persimmons. we have alot and i was gonna do a batch later this fall, but i think the drought may have affected the quality? they are already turning orange and we've been nowhere near a frost. some are quit soft, but when u taste them, they are pretty bland and chalky? is this something i should even consider this year or wait for a more optimal year?

hmm - mine are turning orange and are soft - but they smell great - kind of like an orange. They taste kind of like a mix between a pumpkin and an orange - but i thought it tasted pretty good.

So a little research and it looks like the type of persimmon i have is this:

Diospyros virginiana - the American persimmon.

i'm off today jon, so i will try to get a pic for ya.
it will give me an excuse to do some more taste testing. we have four near our house, but found a grove on another property we farm.
how are u going to process them?

i'm off today jon, so i will try to get a pic for ya.
it will give me an excuse to do some more taste testing. we have four near our house, but found a grove on another property we farm.
how are u going to process them?

I will just wash and drain the persimmons. Cut in half and remove seeds. Cut into chucks and using nylon straining bag crush, mash and strain juice into primary fermenter.

I have 5 gallons ready to be bottled.It is from the American Seedy Variety.It is 10 months old and nice,very nice.....Upper

got the pics and forgot to post em, lol
will get em on tonight.
still tastes bland to me...

picture.php

persimmon tree
(sorry took so long jon)

i found a persimmon tree in my yard too (hachiya). i'm going to try to make a batch out of this seasons harvest. i'll be looking to you for tips!

Gnug, welcome to our forum. Just curious, how large is your yard that you just discovered this tree? What else might you have that you might be able to use.

Latest posts

Back