Nice surprise - i have a persimmon tree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, by "found" i mean it's been there for years and pretty obvious. i live in the suburbs; my yard is very small. i have a lemon tree too (myers) but i don't think i'd like to make that wine

haha, . i have a lemon tree too but i don't think i'd like to make that wine

Yeah I don't blame you on that on. We call that kind of stuff "skeeter pee". Could you imagine drinking anything called that! Yuck! :pee

You really want to stick tp something more popular :a1

Yeah I don't blame you on that on. We call that kind of stuff "skeeter pee". Could you imagine drinking anything called that! Yuck! :pee

You really want to stick tp something more popular :a1

Yeah that nasty skeeter pee, not worth drinkin... but you could make it so you wouldn't be wasting lemons... I'm sure someone could come take it off your hands.:?

what recipe are you going to be using for your persimmon wine, winemaker?

i was thinking that too. i was thinking about using cinnamon and cloves. i'm tempted to put the spices in a hops bag during bulk aging. too much?

i was thinking that too. i was thinking about using cinnamon and cloves. i'm tempted to put the spices in a hops bag during bulk aging. too much?

I did the same thing to my apple wine for an apple spice - i just added the cinnamon sticks directly into the primary - and the clove in a tea bag and place in the primary for about 2-3 days - that was plenty of time for me - the apple spice turned out real nice.

i was also thinking about using maple syrup instead of sugar. is that too uncoventional? does anyone here have experience making wine or brewing with maple syrup? how would that translate into finished flavor?

I am new to wine making. My first batch was Wild Texas Plum and I made some mistakes but hopefully learned. I am picking Wild Persimmons on Sunday from a friends ranch with the intention of starting a batch of wine. I have a few questions about my intended method and would appreciate any advice you have to offer. These persimmons are very sweet, small and an orange color with many seeds inside. I didn't plan on taking the seeds out because it would be too much work and I'd lose so much pulp. I'm planning on pressing them then putting the juice and the bag of pulp in a fermenter and adding water and campden.
Here are my questions:

When should I do the acidity test? What should the acid level be?
What do you think about pressing with the seeds?
Should I use boiling water extraction or cold water extraction?

ok from all I know persimmons are like frost grapes aren't really ripe so to speak till they're frosted once. Then they're really sweet otherwise they're bland to plain ole sour normally they will pucker you up bigtime

Back