Next Level Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I received my order yesterday and put the oak to work today. Thanks for the nice thank you note.

Do you have any recommendations on whether or how many times the oak pieces can be re-used before they're spent, or do they need to be replaced for each new batch?

Thsnks,

Wayne Freeman

Last edited:
Received my order today and added to 6 gal of WE World Vineyard Cabernet that needs “help”. @Mike - Next Level Oak was great to deal with and he shipped the product super fast. I’ll taste test in a week and report back!
Thank you and it was great working with you! If you have any issues just let me know and I hope it helps out with your wine.

Mike, I received my order yesterday and put the oak to work today. Thanks for the nice thank you note.

Do you have any recommendations on whether or how many times the oak pieces can be re-used before they're spent, or do they need to be replaced for each new batch?

Thsnks,

Wayne Freeman
Hey Wayne,
I think it may be possible to use it a second time but I feel like the bulk of the flavor will be out on the first go and it would just be an oaky flavor afterwards. With real barrels, after a couple of uses, they usually take them apart, sand them down and retoast them. With these oak alternatives we are pretty much using the entire piece of oak and it's saturated in your wine.

I say that, but we have noticed the flavor come out quick so it may be able to be used again. The more we experiment the more we will know and I'll pass the info along to all of you.

I keep saying it but if you have any issues let me know!
Mike

I say that, but we have noticed the flavor come out quick so it may be able to be used again. The more we experiment the more we will know and I'll pass the info along to all of you.

Thanks, Mike. My first application is with a WE Australian Chardonnay, which doesn't need much oak, so I'm going to just leave the sticks in for about 3 days or so rather than for a full week (I can already see some added color from the oak) and save them for another batch of a white. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just rec'd my oaks! I have a medium plus and a medium. I want to use them in a Carmenere and a Merlot that are aging. Any suggestions on which to use on which? All thoughts welcome :)
My order arrived in a timely manner and in good condition. It is a quality product in every sense. The bung is heavy and solid. This is something I've been looking for for some time. I've used everything from chips (almost dust) to cubes and spirals with varying degrees of success.
A word about dealing with Mike @ Next Level Oak, he kept me updated about my order including when it would ship, answered any questions I've had and has been a pleasure to work with! Truly awesome customer service!

Back