Next Batch Will Be…..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlamingoEmporium

Reaction score
While the loquat clears (for probably 6 more months) and the coconut experiment continues to make new inroads, I’m dreaming of my next batch. It will be mango based, since I’ve got more than enough frozen mango 🥭 from last year and before in the deep freeze.

i would like to make a two fruit wine and I’m really leaning towards mango /strawberry. I’m looking forward to a fruit wine that is other than white / yellowish in color. 🥭🍓

any thought on how the flavor ratio might come out ? I don’t know how flavorful strawberry ferments. I will probably be doing 4 to 1 mango or even 5 to 1.

later this summer when fresh mangos start arriving, I’m considering mango / cranberry As well.

let ’er rip.

My strawberry wine recipe (1 gallon) called for 3 #'s strawberries. I used four #'s. Blush color. At bottling time the flavor was there but not as pronounced as I hoped. Strawberries don't really punch you in the face with their flavor to begin with. Maybe aging will help, only been in the bottle 1 month. They were store bought, maybe that's why. I'm sure better quality fruit would make a big difference.

My 2nd dragon blood was 50% triple fruit, 50% mango, 20% ginger. (50+50+20=100, trust me.) The ginger came through (which is what I wanted) and then the triple berry. But then again the mangos were frozen from Costco. Disappointing flavor is a generous description. I'll use fresh next time and let them ripen.

My cranberry is still in bulk and I just tasted it. Made from fresh cranberries, GREAT flavor. Very happy! I think it would be the dominant flavor in a combo if too much was used.

If you're using your own fruit you probably won't have my issues. Wish I could help more. This is my experience so far. Working on it.

Just a thought - if you're into blending flavors, try making a couple or more different batches of wines. Then blend the finished wines to whatever flavors that you want. IMO, you will have much more control on the final product.

I don’t know if I’m into blending flavors yet. Haven’t tried it.

im open to opinions. Blend at fermentation or blend two wines later.

Just a thought - if you're into blending flavors, try making a couple or more different batches of wines. Then blend the finished wines to whatever flavors that you want. IMO, you will have much more control on the final product.
I never thought of blending. In fact, I was sure I'd never do it. Not on the radar - until this week. After tasting my hot pepper jelly wine I have fallen in love with the back-end heat and plan to use more peppers in wine this year. I can see where it would be easy to add too little or too much pepper to another fruit. Blending might be the way to go for me. Plus, looking at my seed trays, I could make 9 separate pepper wines!

So I'm dealing with a strong - potentially VERY strong - flavor. @FlamingoEmporium your fruit flavors are more "gentle". Maybe blending would give you exactly what you want without the trail and error experimentation?

I know nothing about blending but for me it's something to explore.

If you need buckets for small batches here's a super cheap tip from Big Dave - bakeries throw out food grade buckets ALL THE TIME! Around here they seem to use a lot of 2 and 2 1/2 gallon buckets. Perfect size. I have dozens.

I have at least 3 nice 3 1/2 gallon buckets, but I’ll check that one out. I’m now keeping my eye open for bottles.

looking for a good source for free 1 glass gallon jugs

Last edited:
i found this….

If it were me, I'd bulk age both wines so they are clear, and ready for bottling. At that time, decide upon a blend, backsweeten further if necessary, stabilize, and bottle. This will get you the result you expected when you completed the taste testing.

Other courses of action (such as blending the wines and letting the ferment continue) will produce a good result, but it may differ from what you are expecting.

and then I suppose whatever extra amount you didn’t need for blending, you just drink

and then I suppose whatever extra amount you didn’t need for blending, you just drink
Depends on the amount. If you have a gallon leftover, I'd probably not drink it in one sitting. ;)

When bottling, I'll bottle a split with the remainder -- anything after that is in the glass. Although we've had 3/4 of a bottle left and my son & I just looked at each other, then divvied it up.
:r

Depends on the amount. If you have a gallon leftover, I'd probably not drink it in one sitting. ;)

When bottling, I'll bottle a split with the remainder -- anything after that is in the glass. Although we've had 3/4 of a bottle left and my son & I just looked at each other, then divvied it up.
:r
That’s why the 16 oz. Tumbler was invented.

Back