Newby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woowoo

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to wine making and think I'm doing ok so far??
Question I have is, my primary fermentation is very active, I have it in a 3.5 gallon bucket at present but think it's going to over flow? Can I transfer the whole lot to a new bigger bucket to continue or will this upset my yeasties?
Also I have a lid on my bucket at present with no hole?
My bigger bucket has an air lock with it so if I move it all should I use the airlock?
I'm on day 2 of fermentation.
Many thanks for any answers.

Yes, you won't hurt anything by transferring it. It would also be better to leave off the airlock. Just lay the lid on loosely or cover with a cloth. I cover mine with a towel, stir twice daily, and transfer to an airlocked carboy when the sg gets close to 1.000.

Get a hydrometer and learn how to use it. That way you can keep track of what is happening with your ferment. Is it done, stalled, how much alcohol?? The hydrometer can help you keep track of them all. And welcome to the forum. Arne.

Welcome to the forum!

I've never experienced any overflow due to primary or secondary fermentation. Just been luck I guess never having more than perhaps 3/8-1/2" of foam . But if I had the concern I'd not hesitate to rack to a bigger bucket. Good luck with your first batch!

Welcome to the forum!

I've never experienced any overflow due to primary or secondary fermentation. Just been luck I guess never having more than perhaps 3/8-1/2" of foam . But if I had the concern I'd not hesitate to rack to a bigger bucket. Good luck with your first batch!

Hey Bill, hope you didn't jinx yourself with this post. You can't possibly imagine how much fun it is to clean up after a volcano til you have to try it. :h Arne.

Hello everyone, I'm new to wine making and think I'm doing ok so far??
Question I have is, my primary fermentation is very active, I have it in a 3.5 gallon bucket at present but think it's going to over flow? Can I transfer the whole lot to a new bigger bucket to continue or will this upset my yeasties?
Also I have a lid on my bucket at present with no hole?
My bigger bucket has an air lock with it so if I move it all should I use the airlock?
I'm on day 2 of fermentation.
Many thanks for any answers.

@Woowoo I would move your fermentation to a larger container. It won't hurt the yeast. Cover with a towel until a specific gravity of around 1.10. Then rack to a carboy that is the right size for your batch.

I do not believe I've ever fermented without airlock. The air here is pretty toxic, with lots of chemical companies and a oil refinery.. I just do not want to expose that much..

Hey Bill, hope you didn't jinx yourself with this post. You can't possibly imagine how much fun it is to clean up after a volcano til you have to try it. :h Arne.

I unfortunately have experienced the "volcano" but it was due to starting a whip degassing much to aggressively. :m I'm now a kinder and gentler degasser.
smilie.gif

Thankyou everyone, that's all very helpful, I've just got in from work and my wine monster is now at the top of the bucket
Time for a bigger bucket I think.

Just what are you breathing??? :sh

Lots of chemicals probably.. There is about double the national average cancer rate here.. This is a lot of the reason I am looking to move North West.

Latest posts

Back