Newby Scuppernong Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read a ton of recipes and methods to making bronze muscadine wine. This is what I did and I would like any recommendations.
I heated up my scuppernongs (not to boiling), and crushed them. Allowed them to cool. Added one gallon of distilled water to my fermentingenuity bucket, with 9 lbs of sugar. Mixed it a bit and then without thinking added the yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122) and stirred some more. Then added two more gallons of distilled water. Finally added one gallon of crushed scuppernongs, and gently mixed. Covered with a cloth and tied to seal. I'm supposed to stir once a day for a week and then double strain. Then pour into my carboys and airlock for 6 weeks.

Did I do anything wrong?

Did you take a hydrometer reading or did you just dump the sugar in? If you just dumped the sugar in without taking a reading that's a huge mistake. And you don't heat up the grapes, you may have an issue with clearing when you do this.

Did you take a hydrometer reading or did you just dump the sugar in? If you just dumped the sugar in without taking a reading that's a huge mistake. And you don't heat up the grapes, you may have an issue with clearing when you do this.

I didn't know to do that. So I took a reading afterward, the final solution is 1.085

1.085 is good and don't airlock it just yet. When fermentation really gets going you will end up with a volcano. How full is the carboy? If it is to full you might have a volcano anyway.

1.085 is good and don't airlock it just yet. When fermentation really gets going you will end up with a volcano. How full is the carboy? If it is to full you might have a volcano anyway.

I just began today. So it will be in my fermentation bucket which is 5 gal for the week. My carboys are 1 gal each I have 5.

Keep it in your primary until sg is down to 1.010. At this point I would snap the lid down and leave it inthe primary. Check it a week later if sg is down around .992 then rack to your 1 gallon carboys and now add the air locks.

Keep it in your primary until sg is down to 1.010. At this point I would snap the lid down and leave it inthe primary. Check it a week later if sg is down around .992 then rack to your 1 gallon carboys and now add the air locks.

OK thank you I will do that.

Latest posts

Back