Newbie's First Efforts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
Hello all. I am fairly new to this site and am very impressed with just about everything I see. It is especially nice to see members respond to the new guys questions in a very helpful and informative manner. So far, I have found a lot of great information and answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet.

My first post was on the equipment page a few days ago, where I posted some pics of an old cider press I am trading a guy for. It is a thing of beauty and well over 100 years old.

But the main reason for this new thread, I just wanted to share a picture of my current wines. From left to right, fresh Arkansas strawberry, frozen peach and frozen raspberry.

Fermenting.jpg

Those are looking very nice there, how many lbs of each fruit did you use per gallon and what were the starting sg's?

Fresh Strawberry
4.5 lbs fruit
SG 1.090
Transferred to secondary at SG 1.032
First racking at 0.992

Frozen Peach
3.5 lbs fruit
SG 1.085
Transferred to secondary at SG 1.040
First racking at 0.992

Frozen Raspberry
4 lbs fruit
SG 1.090
Transferred to secondary at SG 1.030
First racking at 0.992

They all seem to be doing fine so far. I also recently bottled a gallon of frozen strawberry that turned out well. The muscadine harvest is still several months away, but I'm making room for a couple of 5 gal carboys.

I don't have my notes with me so these are not exact. The fresh strawberry is only about 4 1/2 weeks. You can't really tell from the pic, but there's a pretty good layer of lees in the jug. I am impressed that it is clearing as nicely as it has at this point. The peach and raspberry went into the secondary near the end of February, so close to 4 months, more or less.

Latest posts

Back