Newbie with Jabotica

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Lodge

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and to wine making. I live in tropical Cairns in Queensland Australia. I've brewed beer but now have 5.9kg of Jabotica I'd like to make a rosè style from. I need to know what equipment and additional ingredients is needed and step by step process. Maybe a good book could be recommended? I will be moving to the Barossa Valley in South Australia next year sometime and will hopefully be able to get my hands on some beautiful grapes to further my wine making. Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm new here and to wine making. I live in tropical Cairns in Queensland Australia. I've brewed beer but now have 5.9kg of Jabotica I'd like to make a rosè style from. I need to know what equipment and additional ingredients is needed and step by step process. Maybe a good book could be recommended? I will be moving to the Barossa Valley in South Australia next year sometime and will hopefully be able to get my hands on some beautiful grapes to further my wine making. Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

Welcome to WMT!! You could start your journey here:The Definitive* Jaboticaba Wine Thread

Welcome to WMT

Most of us in the US have never seen Jaboticaba so we have to help based on the numbers, not experience. (am curious what your test specific gravity, pH, Titratable acidity and color are).
Not knowing specifics,,, if I had a red grape color juice and wanted to make a rose color I would do a 1:10 blend with a white grape (or other clear juice)

Equipment? / book? as a beer maker you have the basics, there are periodic newbie threads on WMT that discuss equipment. An excellent reference on wine is Pambianchi, Techniques in Home Wine Making. I find that most books cover the same startup info and are tweeted to then go on to a few chapters on backyard grapes, or chapters on meads or chapters with example recipes or chapters on dandelion/ unusual ingredients.

Welcome to WMT

Most of us in the US have never seen Jaboticaba so we have to help based on the numbers, not experience. (am curious what your test specific gravity, pH, Titratable acidity and color are).
Not knowing specifics,,, if I had a red grape color juice and wanted to make a rose color I would do a 1:10 blend with a white grape (or other clear juice)

Equipment? / book? as a beer maker you have the basics, there are periodic newbie threads on WMT that discuss equipment. An excellent reference on wine is Pambianchi, Techniques in Home Wine Making. I find that most books cover the same startup info and are tweeted to then go on to a few chapters on backyard grapes, or chapters on meads or chapters with example recipes or chapters on dandelion/ unusual ingredients.
Thanks Rice Guy, unfortunately I got rid of my homebrew kit so have to start again. I still have whole fruit in the freezer so no info on numbers yet. I will investigate books first I think then visit my local brew shop.

Thanks Rice Guy, unfortunately I got rid of my homebrew kit so have to start again. I still have whole fruit in the freezer so no info on numbers yet. I will investigate books first I think then visit my local brew shop.
Hi David

NSW Northern Rivers first timer here, I'm having a go at Jaboticabas , harvesting from a friend

Did you have a go in the end, got any tips ?

Cheers

Back