Newbie Wine Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granee65

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just finished my first wine kit (Island Mist - Raspberry Peach Sangria) and it was a hit with family/friends. I'm ready to try another kit and want to plan my next two, but I can't decide which direction to go. My SO likes fruit wines and sweet wine. I typically enjoy classic reds (Cabs, Merlot, etc) or whites, but will drink just about anything. Here are my original thoughts:

Kit 1: Red wine

Kit 2: Zinfandel, Gewurztraminer, Rosé or another fruit wine.

I'm looking to spend ~$200 total on both kits. I don't plan on changing the kit at all, besides adding sugar to get my desired SG. Any recommendations on specific kits that I should try?

Thanks!

I had not yet. I'll be sure to read through it. Looks like a lot of good info.

Thanks for the reference.

Hi All,

I just finished my first wine kit (Island Mist - Raspberry Peach Sangria) and it was a hit with family/friends. I'm ready to try another kit and want to plan my next two, but I can't decide which direction to go. My SO likes fruit wines and sweet wine. I typically enjoy classic reds (Cabs, Merlot, etc) or whites, but will drink just about anything. Here are my original thoughts:

Kit 1: Red wine

Kit 2: Zinfandel, Gewurztraminer, Rosé or another fruit wine.

I'm looking to spend ~$200 total on both kits. I don't plan on changing the kit at all, besides adding sugar to get my desired SG. Any recommendations on specific kits that I should try?

Thanks!
Spend the bulk of the money on Kit 1, and the rest on kit 2. Then make sure to age Kit 1 for at least a year, two or three would be optimal.

How bout alternating between an early drinker and one to age.

Highly recommend the winexpert Muscato. It's actually a cheap kit and produces 6 gallons. It's a sweet wine but I've found it very comparable to the 5-10 bottle sweet wines on grocery store shelves.

For reds I'd recommend a kit with skins. I'm still relatively new and I've found the red kits with skins taste better and come around faster than ones without skins.

I most often buy and two kits at a time. A red for myself and gifting and a white or mist wine for my wife and gifting. Wait 2-3 months and repeat. I'll do a fruit/country wine several times a year.

There are so many good kits out there so I and can't think of anyone made by WE or RJS that I've tried and couldn't recommend. I suggest picking two that seem to appeal to you for whatever reason and start making them. Over the years you'll find the ones that you'll enjoy making over and over again and the ones that you'll pass on next time. Good luck!

While I sometimes make the same suggestion as Brian55 and GaDawg, I don't follow that advice myself. Aside from the Mist kits I make for summertime around the pool, all of my kits are premium ones. I look for larger volumes of juice (16 or 18L), oak and skins (in my red kits). I shop for pricing and make the best kits I can afford.

While I sometimes make the same suggestion as Brian55 and GaDawg, I don't follow that advice myself. Aside from the Mist kits I make for summertime around the pool, all of my kits are premium ones. I look for larger volumes of juice (16 or 18L), oak and skins (in my red kits). I shop for pricing and make the best kits I can afford.

I agree, you’re rec changes once you have an adequate supply.

Back