Newbie wanna be grape grower in Houston - several questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGHomeslice

Junior
Reaction score
I'd still like to grow grapes. I'm in the Houston metropolitan area. I bought some seeds of various grapes, but none of them sprouted (while other stuff I buy basically always sprouts), so I researched and I figured out it takes a good bit of work and time to even get them to sprout, then you might not have grapes for 3+ years!

So I was thinking of getting some grape vines. I know "muscadine" grapes are native to much of the south, including Texas. So I figure I should order some of these grape vines:

https://www.willisorchards.com/category/muscadine-&-scuppernong-grape-vines#.XlNDjyhKguU

They are all muscadines I think. Is this a good place to start?

I take it I should get the oldest ones possible (they sell 3 year old ones)?

And I should only get ones where I can get both a male and female so that they can actually make grapes?

Any particular type of soil I need to use, or growing tips?

It is also weird, if you look at their "male" and "female" vines, there is no or almost no overlap! Don't you need both a male and female of the same type so they can pollinate and actually make grapes?

Anything else I should know right off hand?

Thanks for any help!!!

If you are super new muscadine is a great choice since they are very resistant.

One thing I did was grow some native bunch grapes for my first year to get "acquainted" with ALL the pest!

One more tidbit, they are pricey compared to the originals but there are a few seedless varieties of muscadine.

Last edited:
Thank you efBobby! Any thoughts on why that site does not have female muscadines that match the male muscadines? They are literally all different. Do you not need both to produce grapes? Can they interbreed among those listed?

Thanks!!!

Sorry been busy.

Hmmm I can be of some help but I don't know a whole lot about muscadines.

Idk about you but here in central va muscadines are prolificly vigorous. I think the only bunch grape that can grow as fast as muscadines is aestivalis.

I see muscadines in a variety of soil types however I do see more of them in the forest so they may prefer a more acidic type of soil rich in decaying organic material.

If you see some growing and looking healthy then take a look at the soil and imitate it or if it is your soil then move it.

You may have to do a google search or 2.

In regards to " gender matching" grapes. By nature most grapes are either male or female but hermaphroditism does happen and is preferred since the vine would not need a partner,

I believe most if not all the males on that site are hemaphrodites since a true male would not produce a single grape ergo if it doesn't produce any fruit then unless you genetically test the vines would not be able to "match them" at all.

P.s. I do not see as many muscadines in close proximity to water sources as I do the bunch grapes so muscadine roots may not react well to excess moisture but this is a guess based off of a perceived pattern.

I realize I’m late to this Thread but if you haven’t gotten your muscadine vines you might try Ison’s Nursery they have many different varieties. They also have how to video’s that are a great help. That’s where I got mine, I got six different types and they produced enough to make a batch of wine the second year. Last year was the third year and we picked a little over 300lbs, I was able to give the neighbors some people at work and still made nine batches of wine.

Attachments

• A4BFF6AA-F919-40DC-A225-3E1358E61484.jpeg
    A4BFF6AA-F919-40DC-A225-3E1358E61484.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 93706B39-0966-4A6E-9479-FF1FC0F635CA.jpeg
    93706B39-0966-4A6E-9479-FF1FC0F635CA.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 5
Back