Newbie trellis help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexessex

Junior
Reaction score
I'm installing my first trellis. What height of the grape vine do I wait to start tying the vines? I watched a lot of videos but most are pretty far along with growth. How high should my lowest wire need to be? Thanks

I think around 3 ft wire would be good. You want to use a vertical shoot position type of system and make sure they get all the sun possible.
I believe they like cool weather too, probably other here on site with more specific info on chardonnay vines. Wish I could grow wine grapes here.
Good luck

So I would need to wait till trunk and head are close to 3feet correct? Thank you , this is my first effort with grapes lol

I’d just train them to 6’ bamboo stakes first year. Trying to keep the trunk a bit straighter. Leave a sucker or two at the base but pinch back the tip. Then you have a second trunk to develop, if needed. This is from Double A vineyards. it should take you to their suggestions for growing Chardonnay. Trellising, diseases, etc.

as @Skashoon says a pole to grow on is useful.
In year one I had a 6 foot metal fence posts on each plant and orange bailer twine up above the local winery uses rebar (cheaper). By year three I had threaded wire and removed all twine. At year five I replaced the first rotted / busted off treated wood landscaping end post and started supporting each plant and the top wire on new taller eight foot metal posts.

Learning: first the grape is resilient, it will take over what ever you give it, next lots of best vineyard design works out to be mainly for your convenience, and if there is an overriding principal plan for lots of weight!

Thank you very helpful. I've been watching YouTube but all of the vibes are much older and further along

Latest posts

Back